Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Western European Cities With Street Canal System?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 09:09 PM
Erika

I will be traveling through most of the western European countries (France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark) the first two weeks in August. I would love to go to Venice, Italy, but do not think I will have time to make a day trip out of it from Salzberg, Austria (the closest I think I will be to Venice). Is it worth the 10 hour round trip to Venice by Eurail, or are there any other cities that have canals for streets? Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Erika

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 03:00 AM
Jo

Although its not really a street canal type system, Brugge is still great to do a canal trip down. I would say its probably not worth such a large side trip from. Maybe save it for another trip concentrating on that part of Europe. Theres plenty of wonderful places in the countries you already have planned. <BR>Regards <BR>Jo <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 07:38 AM
Cecilia

Hi Erika, <BR> <BR>I lived in Salzburg, and I did the train trip down to Venice a few times. It's truly an overnight trek each way - Venice is a beautiful city, but unless you have a couple of days, and it'll be warm and full of tourists then, I'd suggest going another time. <BR> <BR>Amsterdam is of course THE city for canals. <BR> <BR>If you'd like any info on Salzburg or elsewhere in Austria, feel free to let me know! <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 07:40 AM
martha

Annecy, France also has some canals.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 12:09 PM
Ben Haines

As others have said, cities strong in canals are Amsterdam and Bruges. But Venice has no compare. So you may like to know that the Simplon Express runs from Geneva to Venice, and the San Marco Express or (at better times, when it runs) train number 9734 and EN234 from Venice to Vienna. Both trains have sleepers, at a supplement of 50 US dollars. When you first step out of the station and stand at the top of the steps the view tells you that a little trouble was well worth it. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 02:59 PM
wes fowler

Erika, <BR>Your best bet for canals are in Belgium and the Netherlands. Brugges, particularly has lovely canals. Ghent has a major canal network as well. In the Netherlands, Amsterdam of course, but Delft and Amersfoort, also. You'll find canals in Paris (the Canal St. Martin district), London (the Regent's Canal from Little Venice to Camden Lock past Regents Park). Berlin, Dijon, Lille and Vienna all have canals, as well. I don't think you'll find any in Switzerland.