Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   West Highland Line Seat Selection (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/west-highland-line-seat-selection-1095971/)

arizonaa Apr 20th, 2016 04:56 PM

West Highland Line Seat Selection

Hey all, traveling from Glasgow to Mallaig in a few weeks. There is an option to book specific seats or not. Feel the need to book tix ahead, but am I safe not booking specific seats? If I need to book, and I like to face forward, what side of the train do I want to be on? Does anyone know the letters?

Same from Kyle of Localsh to Edinburgh!

Thank you.

historytraveler Apr 20th, 2016 07:42 PM

You have limited options. Just select forward facing, window seat.

mjdh1957 Apr 21st, 2016 04:22 AM

The train reverses on leaving Fort William, so you will be facing backwards between there and Mallaig

janisj Apr 21st, 2016 06:45 AM

>>The train reverses on leaving Fort William, so you will be facing backwards between there and Mallaig<<

That's what I was going to mention. Half of your journey will be facing forward and half - facing backward.

annhig Apr 21st, 2016 07:32 AM

I like to sit at a table so I would always book a seat to ensure that.

I suspect, but don't know, that the best views would be to the west of the railway line so you'd want to be on the left hand side of the train - what say you, JJ?

janisj Apr 21st, 2016 08:27 AM

IMO between Ft William and Mallaig one would want to be on the left side -- between Glasgow and Ft William the views are just as good either side and it doesn't really matter.

The regular (non-table) seats do limit views a bit because there is a seat right in front of you.

Also along some stretches the views are better facing to the rear.

If you do get table seats -- and IF you want to always face forward -- you'll have to book seats across from each other so you can switch -- but then your DH will always be facing backward.

Though there are usually some empty seats so you can move to any that are unreserved if you want a better view or change direction.

QED Apr 21st, 2016 03:05 PM

Without any doubt, between Glasgow and Fort William, the left hand side of the train, facing the direction of travel is best for views. You may miss a short section of Loch Lomond between Arrochar and Ardlui, but the rest of the journey to the Fort will more than compensate, especially at the Horseshoe Viaduct just north of Tyndrum, Loch Treig, and the Monessie Gorge near Roy Bridge.
Again, and in my opinion, the section from Fort William to Mallaig is the most scenic 40 mile rail journey in Scotland, and is best seen from the left side of the train facing the direction of travel.
Please take note of previous comments made about the direction you could end up facing for this portion of the journey. It might be worth checking on whether a split ticket is available, with selected seats for each part of the journey.

For Kyle to Edinburgh, the journey can be separated into three parts Kyle/Inverness, Inverness/Perth, Perth Edinburgh. Check the train route in relation to contours shown on Ordnance Survey mapping, and select the side of the train that will allow you to see the majority of the views you want to see.

Man_in_seat_61 Apr 21st, 2016 11:35 PM

Yes, the left hand side is best between Glasgow & Ft William, for the horseshoe curve, Loch Trieg & Monessie Gorge, although the Corrour Summit sign for example is on the right.

The train changes direction at Ft William, so swap seats if you can as the left hand side is the best for views of Glenfinnan (Harry Potter) viaduct, and later on, the sea.

Here's some info and photos I took earlier this year: http://www.seat61.com/WestHighlandLine.htm

You cannot specify which side of the train a reserved seat is on as the reservation system doesn't know this - I'd just sit in any unreserved seat and not worry about reservations, unless it was a weekend in July & August or something. Sod's Law says any reserved seat will be next to a pillar on the side of the train you don't want!

annhig Apr 22nd, 2016 02:34 AM

Sod's Law says any reserved seat will be next to a pillar on the side of the train you don't want!>>

true, but at least you can get a table. And you don't have to use the reservation if you don't want to. as it costs nothing, you haven't lost anything if you reserve.