West Hampstead, London recommendations

Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

West Hampstead, London recommendations

I will be spending some time in the West Hampstead area of London for the first time, although have been to London several times before. I am looking for restaurant recommendations, and also, sites that are nearby. Any recommendations are appreciated!
Mar 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM

Hi Lois,

Lots of ideas for you (I run a local non-commercial blog and the @Whampstead twitter feed). Restaurants: The two best are Walnut (www.walnutwalnut.com) and The Wet Fish Café (www.thewetfishcafe.co.uk). But there are plenty of others depending on your palate!

Sights: Hampstead village and Hampstead Heath are just a short walk away. Kenwood House on the Heath is a rather beautiful building with a good art collection. There's also the Freud museum and Keats' House in the area.

If you're a 60s fan, then you can see Abbey Road studios and the zebra crossing from the cover of the Abbey Road album, as well as the site of the Beatles famous audition for Decca where they were turned down (that's on Broadhurst Gardens in West Hampstead - currently housing the ENO, there's no sign or anything).

Happy to give you more thoughts if you let me know what sort of thing you like doing.

Jonathan
Mar 4th, 2010, 01:14 AM

West Hampstead should really be called East Kilburn.

There's not much there (and the pubs are minging) but you are a hop and a skip from Hampstead and (miuch overlooked) Kilburn, which do have pubs and restaurants.

CW - Once worked in West End Lane, before turning to the dark side.

Search this Thread