Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

West coast of Italy - Travelling Rome and Venice in late May

Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are looking to travel between Rome (arrive 21 May) and Venice (need to be the 27 May) - say 6 days. We want to see the best of the west coast including doing the Cinque Terre walk. Not sure how to travel - train or one way car hire or combination of both? i.e drive to say, La Spezia and get a train from there to Venice?

Is`one way' car rental (pick up in Rome drop off in say LaPenzia feasible)?
What car rental companies will do this?

Any advice on the "must sees", places to stay along the way (reasonably priced) and mode of transport will be appreciated.

Also looking for reasonably priced hotel or pensione in Venice for one night.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM

Please tell us a euro amount that you consider "reasonably priced"--this is subjective.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM

One way car rentals within a country usually do not impose high drop-off fees. You could go to Autoeurope.com (3 days minimum rental) and try two types of rentals: one way and RT, and see if there is a difference in price.

What might be possible is to rent a car for your entire trip, parking it in Levanto which is on the north end of Cinque Terre and returning it in Venice.
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM

You can search here for Venice accommodations:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=437
Mar 3rd, 2011, 05:11 AM

We traveled in the opposite direction, Venice to Rome. Yes, car rental companies will let you pick up/drop off in different cities. We used AutoEurope. Having a GPS was essential, in addition to a great, detailed map.
We have used both car and train travel in Italy. Their train system is very extensive, it's a great way to get around. The car we rented was needed for driving around Tuscany.
How many days are you staying in Rome? We stayed in the Albergo Cesari in September, which was very centrally located. We walked to almost everything. Rooms nothing to brag about but it had a wonderful rooftop terrace. Compared to a lot of hotels in Rome, we found it to be reasonably price (although this is subjective).
As far as Venice, we stayed in an apartment bc we were a group of 8. Venice is magical! Even though you're only there for one night be sure to wander away from the main sights... that is where you'll experience the true beauty of Venice.
The Cinque Terre is lovely, although I haven't been in 10 years. I'm pretty sure it's gotten a lot more popular since then! Are you staying there or just doing a day trip?
Mar 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael & MyDreanTrip. Your advice on Car rental is very helpful.

I was not intending to stay in Rome as part of this leg. We intend heading north from the airport immediately on arriva.

I agree cost subjective. I have no feel for cost but I am hoping a budget of 60-100 euros per night will cover it. Is this realistic. Between 2 and 4 star if that's a guide.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM

Will you see any of Rome? I ask because Rome is amazing and I'd hate for you to miss it entirely. But if not, you can always see it on your next trip to Italy!
Have you considered Orvieto? It is only a little over an hour train from Rome and is a scenic hilltown with a spectacular duomo. This could be an easy, great beginning to your trip. I believe they have car rental offices there.
Tuscany is as beautiful as I had always imagined but not sure if you planned on staying there. But you will drive through many scenic areas on your way to the Cinque Terre!
We stayed in Monterosso while in the CT but it's not as quaint as the other towns. We wanted a town that had a beach but otherwise I would have chosen Vernazza, which is my favorite of the 5 towns. Portovenere is also lovely, it's the next town over, not part of the CT so not as crowded. It has a ferry that takes you to the Cinque Terre.
I hope this info helps a little!