Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We're back from Paris! (Monica and Judy) Any questions?

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Monica

Hi fellow fodorites,

Judy and I returned from Paris on Monday and we had a great time! I was able to meet Joy for drinks one night, who I met last year with several other fodorites and my Mom.

Paris was wonderful. We had a variety of weather: sunny days, cloudy and rainy days, and mostly in the high 50s. One day (in Chantilly) it must have been in the mid 40s!

Enjoyed the Chateaux Chantilly and a day trip to Provins, the medieval town. Interesting place to visit with a tower, Church, museum, and underground system. Not croweded at wll with tourists, we felt like we had the town to ourselves (with the exception of school children exploring the tower).

We enjoyed some great meals, including a couple of restaruants that I had enjoyed in 1999. Met friends for dinner one night and also another couple, Miriam and Oliver from Frankfurt, who we met in Germany in June.

Notre Dame is lovely after being all cleaned up. When I was there last year, it was covered with scaffolding and I couldn't enjoy the views from the top. Did so this time on a sunny day. We also walked to the 2nd level of the Effel Tower. We certainly burned off those croissants every day!

We enjoyed our 2 rooms at Grand Hotel des Balcons, including one room with an Effel tower view! That was a nice surprise.

I'll be glad to provide any information to those that will be traveling to France!

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Kathryn

Hi, Monica,

We are leaving next Wednesday for a one week stay at the Balcons! Any restaurants near the hotel you particularly liked?

Thanks,
Kathryn

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 09:40 PM
adrienne

Hi Monica,

Looks like you had a great time in Paris. Iím interested in hearing more about Provins. Iíve been to Chantilly and Senlis. Where is Provins in relation to these two towns. How did you get to Provins? In relation to other day trips from Paris how would you rate it? By the way, Iíve looked at your new web site and it loads much, much faster than your former site. It looks good too. Iíve begun working on my own web site and have a home page and one trip report done so far. Next Iíll begin scanning some photos if the scanner doesnít get the better of me Ė it went totally haywire this morning!!

Regards,

Adrienne

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Monica

Hello Kathryn,

There were a couple of restaurants nearby the Balcons that we enjoyed. First was Chez Maitre Paul, 12 rue Monsieur le Prince (next street over from the hotel); tele 01 43 54 74 59. We walked in one evening to make reservations for the next night. Must make reservations. We paid $50.54 for a very nice meal and good bottle of wine (Bourgueil 1997 - red). The creme brulee for dessert was wonderful!

We also enjoyed Cremerie Restaurant Polidor, 41 rue Monsieur Le Prince. We didn't make reservations here, but arrived around 8:00pm. It was pretty full, but we got in. Within 20 minutes the rest of the tables were taken. Another Fodorite recommended this to me as well as being in one of my guide books. The service was brusque but "expected" at this place as it's very busy. It seemed that waitress took care of the regular customers over the others. It didn't bother me, but it did bother Judy. The food was very good. I enjoyed their homemade pate and a very tender pork dish with curry sauce and rice. My meal with wine was about $24.
We enjoyed Le Bistro de Breteuil, 3 place de Breteuil, tele 01 45 67 07 27. I had dined here May 1999 with my Mom and friends and like that time, it was great this time. We met Miriam and Oliver from Frankfurt (met them in June in Germany). The escargots were delicious as well as everything else. I had their rack of lamb with scalloped potatoes. The restaurant decor was changed from white linens and bright room to warm yellow colors, which felt romantic. I think we were the only tourists there while everyone else were the locals. For the two of us (kir to start, 3 course meal 1/2 bottle wine per person and coffee) it was $37. A great price for a great evening.

A new restaruant we enjoyed with friends was L'Epi Dupin, 11, rue Dupin, 75006, tele 01 42 22 64 56. Metro nearby is Sevres Babylone. Head down one block to Dupin. Our meal was $48 for the two of us. My friends bought the bottle of wine. Delicious food (great sauteed calamari for appetizer); try the chocolate cake with pistacio and chocolate sauce! Very rich and great for chocolate lovers.

A fun place for dinner is Nos Ancetres Les Gaulois, Ile Saint-Louis, 39, rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile, tele 01 46 33 66 07, www.nosancetreslesgaulois.com. We had our hotel receptionist make reservations for us (7pm or 10:30 seatings) as well as reservations at Breteuil. This place was a lot of fun. A beautiful hugh basket of vegetables is placed on your table and you make your own salad. Nearby is a buffet table with more salad fixings, and a meat board with a variety of sausages and pates; bread is served at the table. A wine keg is next to it and you pour yourself all the wine you can drink. Next your order your main meal (I had their beef kabob and Judy had their steak, which was more tender than the kabobs). Vegetables came with the meal and I believe rice?? Next was a cheese plate with about 6 different varieties; creme caramel for me for dessert. Total for the two of us was $51. We sat near the entrance. The place is hugh and probably seats 300 people in several rooms in the back. Guitar players walked around and sung a variety of songs. Very entertaining evening.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Monica

Hi Adrienne,

Provins is southeast of Paris. We took the 7:43am train as we didn't have a choice of a later time; arrived just after 9am. The town is lovely with old buildings. I did enjoy this town like all other places I visited. We enjoyed the sights we saw (get their 55FF monument pass to see the tower, museum, underground tunnels and one other small museum). The only bad thing is, and maybe it was winter hours, the sights, with the exception of the tower, didn't open until 2pm. We were able to see everything. We did have about 2 hours after for our train home (5:55pm). Again, not many choices, so we enjoyed coffee and wine in a local bar. We also walked (very short walk) on the town walls. You can check out www.provins.net for more information. Email them for brochures.

I haven't been on my web site for a while and need to work on getting the photos loaded. Now I have more with this trip!

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Gina

Hey Monica!

So you did make it to Nos Ancetres? Great! I just loved that place. And it's such a delight to wander around the Ile St. Louis in the evening. I'll see you at the Fodorites brunch this afternoon and we can trade photos.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 04:32 PM
Monica

Hi Gina! It was great to see you today and your great photos from Greece, as well as seeing the other fodorites. See you again soon!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Dianne

Welcome back Monica!

Sorry I missed the Brunch but please remember me when you have the next fodorite luncheon in December.

Did you ever get to the flea market, Marche aux Puces de Clignancourt, that we talked about?

We ate at the Polidor too last July, and it was good food, but bad service. My daughter wouldn't use the rest room there because she said it was just a big hole in the floor! I never ventured to see it.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:55 AM
lisa

Hi Monica. Can you tell me which room at the hotel has the Eiffel Tower view, and anything else about the room? (What size beds, how was the bathroom, etc.).

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Teri

Hi Monica:

Glad to hear you had a great time in Paris, then again - how could you not have a great time. I look forward to seeing your pictures. Welcome back
Teri Meves

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 10:44 AM
Thyra

Monica, welcome back. I am so glad you liked the Balcons and glad you had a wonderful trip.

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 11:24 AM
Patty

Hi Monica! I, too, am interested in which room to ask for at the Balcons. We definately need two beds and a view would be an added bonus. Thanks, Patty

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 06:12 PM
Monica

Hello Dianne, no, Judy and I did not get to Marche aux Puces de Clignancourt. In fact, there were about 4 things on my list of things to see that I missed! There is so much to see in Paris. I'll be there again some day soon and will see what I have missed. Polidor has 2-3 bathrooms and the one I went into didn't have the hole in the floor. Lucky me.

Lisa and Patty, room #601 has the view of the Eiffel Tower. Please note that it's far away, but still an enjoyable view. I took a couple of photos, but they did not come out. Small room with a double bed and twin bed. At the foot of the beds, it was a tight squeeze to get by, but manageable. Personally, I don't mind small rooms as long at the hotel is in a very good location, the rooms are clean, and is a safe place to stay while on vacation. My Mom and I enjoyed Balcons May 1999 and have recommended the place to a few friends. It's in a great location and quite comfortable. Our price for room #601 was 630FF while room #305 (twin beds put together) was 535FF. Includes 5FF per person, per night for tax. The bathrooms were small, but well equiped with shower, toilet, sink, washclothes, soaps. Not large for two people to be in at once, but convenient. At the exchange rate of 7.64 to the dollar, it was a great baragain.

Hope this helps everyone!