Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wengen or Interlaken? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wengen-or-interlaken-278461/)

rick Dec 9th, 2002 08:20 AM

Wengen or Interlaken?

We are planning to stay in the area next Xmas time. We would like to see surrounding areas during the day. Do you suggest Interlaken as a base or Wengen? I heard Wengen is much nicer and if we decide to stay in, much more cozy, too. We want some romance. It will be our 2nd anniversary. Thanks!

bettyk Dec 9th, 2002 09:39 AM

Have not stayed in Wengen but would not consider Interlaken for more than a day or so. Just isn't that much to see unless you go up to Jungfraujoch. I have always loved Lucerne so it would be my first choice for any trip to Switerland. Just my personal opinion, though.

liz Dec 9th, 2002 09:48 AM

betty - <BR>thanks for all of your help. can you do a day trip to lucerne from wengen, if we stay in wengen? thanks.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Dec 9th, 2002 10:12 AM

Neither--Interlaken is too sterile and Wengen is too small and filled with skiers. I would stay in Grindelwald as a compromise--more to see and do.

bettyk Dec 9th, 2002 12:34 PM

Liz, the two cities are only 50 miles apart so it shouldn't be a problem to do a day trip from Wengen to Lucerne if you do decide on that route. <BR><BR>There really is a lot to do in Lucerne with all the nice hotels, shops and restaurants. We stayed in a river view room at the Des Balances Hotel which is located right on the River Reuss in the Old Town. The views of the river and surrounding mountains are breathtaking. Also, you're only a short stroll from the lake. We got a good rate by contacting the hotel directly via email. Here is their website if you are interested:<BR>http://www.balances.ch/en/hotel.asp

greg Dec 9th, 2002 12:56 PM

Wengen and Lucerne may be only 50 miles apart, but, if you are using a train, you need about 2:45 min one way. <BR><BR>In case you are not familiar with the areas, this map shows where Wengen and Grindelwald are located on the mountain:<BR><BR>http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/picts/karten/winterpano700.jpg<BR><BR>Interlaken is below the map.

rick Dec 9th, 2002 01:06 PM

Thanks for all of your help, all. Are you suggesting we skip Wengen and go to Lucerne instead? Thanks.

Jan Dec 9th, 2002 01:24 PM

Rick,<BR>I would suggest a couple of days in Luzern. I live here and it is great right before Christmas. Lots of lights, cheer in the streets and great jewelry shops for that 2nd anniversary present! ;-) Wengen is a bit far for a day trip, so I would say stay there (or Grindelwald) for 2-3 days as well. I prefer Grindelwald for the reasons Bob stated. There are some nice hotels and it would be great to be in the SNOWY alps for Christmas. I would spend the actual holiday there, rather than Luzern. Luzern can be grey and foggy in December. I don't think we have seen the sun in about 45 days!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan

BillJ Dec 9th, 2002 04:46 PM

You don't say how many days total in the area. And each of us will have a different idea. If you would like snow bound alps kind of days and nights, emphasis on cozy and romance, Wengen would fit the bill, I would think. Do at least two nights. 3 would give you a day to take the trains around the area and a day to loaf around. Grindelwald is a bit larger, with more to &quot;do&quot;. I was not there in the winter, only last summer. We stayed at Muerren, and found it enchanting. I believe Wengen would be similar. I would not stay in Interlaken.<BR>Lucerne is beautiful, as are several of the villages along the north shore of the lake, such as Weggis (pronounced Vay-geese) where we stayed last summer. The steamer rides would be inviting. Day trips would not work well. Train: almost 3 hours. Car: that much if Brunig Pass is open.<BR>All in all, I would vote for Wengen (even if you don't ski) for getting away from the din of a city, although skiiers can be a rowdy lot.<BR>Have fun.

ami Dec 9th, 2002 05:25 PM

Rick,<BR><BR>Wengen is a lovely place to stay if you need to rest, take it easy, enjoy the scenery, rest your mind.<BR><BR>BUT not as a base for day-rips. It's up on the mountains, not easy access.<BR><BR>Luzern is the best BASE. Trains run from there everywhere. More choices for hotels and restaurants, and MUCH CHEAPER.

kelda Dec 9th, 2002 07:59 PM

Rick,<BR> I have been going to Luzern everywhere for the last 12 years and have not gotten bored yet. I have always made my base in luzern and driven or taken the train everywhere. Interlaken is also very pretty but is more of a day trip destination. I would say the same goes to Wengen.

xxx Dec 11th, 2002 09:28 AM

ABSOLUTELY Wengen. It will add to your romance - it's small, quaint, carless, likely to be snowy, full of chalets, etc. The perfect place to &quot;stay in&quot; - you can also wander around the village or just outside it once you decide to get out of bed on a snowy or lazy morning. True, it's not a real &quot;base&quot; for bigger day trips, but depends what you want. A &quot;day&quot; trip can also be:<BR>- take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg or the Jungfraujoch (1/2 day)<BR>- take the train further to Grindelwald and see that village and some of the surroundings (1 day total);<BR>- go the other way down to Lauterbrunnen, and up again to Murren, another carless village; on to the Schilthorn revolving restaurant if you have time (1 day).<BR><BR>There may be special train tickets for the area that will give you reductions over several days; or, try offers from Swiss Railways (www.sbb.ch; choose English language) for their ticket offers in general. <BR><BR>So - you've got enough for 2 1/2 day of side trips, plus maybe 2 days in Wengen, makes for a nice 4-5 days. <BR>Enjoy it. <BR>

Marcia Dec 11th, 2002 11:44 AM

I agree with Bob - stay in Grindewald instead. I used to go there every winter and it is one of my favorite ski resorts.

rick Dec 11th, 2002 12:21 PM

You are all so helpful - Thank you!<BR>One last question....<BR>Your favorite hotels in Wengen and Zermatt?? I understand Julen is great in Zermatt. Is there something comparable in Wengen with a spa like atmosphere for some great R and R after being a tourist and wanting romance? <BR>Thanks all.

Susanna Dec 11th, 2002 04:58 PM

I've made several trips to Wengen as a VERY favorute destination for the reasons above. I love the Falken Hotel, a not expensive, late Victorian (and looks it!) Family-run place with large rooms, old fashioned fixtures and furniture, and fabulous views of the mts. I thought Grindelwald mean unfriendly and touristy.

xxx Dec 11th, 2002 11:27 PM

Have stayed in the Hotel Caprice in Wengen - nice wood interior, etc. Believe they at least have a sauna, don't know if they've since increased their &quot;wellness&quot; offering. Lots of hotels have done so over the past few years. <BR><BR>Try the website www.swisshotels.ch; choose English for language; click on the Hotels prompt; then click on the Guide prompt; and enter Wengen as Place and see the hotel list, also you can access the hotel-specific websites. Generally hotels in the 3 star range will have small spa-like amenities; hotels in the 4-to-5 star range will cost more but will have more too...

ann Dec 19th, 2002 05:22 PM

I would recommend Wengen. I have been to Wengen and Lucern, and Lucern is beautiful, but I think Wengen would be the most romantic. In fact, I think Wengen would be an almost fairy tale atmosphere at Christmas. Good luck, and I hope you have as much fun in Switzerland as we have on our travels there.

Richard Jan 4th, 2003 01:06 PM

Wengen is a mountain resort and so are Grindelwald and M¨¹rren, while Lucerne is a city at the shores of a loake. Decide what you prefer. I personally would stay in Grindelwald (has a direct train to Interlaken, but Wngen and M¨¹rren require a transfer). For a day-trip to Interlaken, a train leaves Grindelwald at 7:50 am, transfer in Interlaken, then arrive in Lucerne at 10:24 (picturesque trip). The last return would be at 7:34 pm, transfer at Interlaken, arrives in Grindelwald at 9:59 pm.Trains run (roughly) at hourly intervals.Schedules are almost the same for Wengen (leave a little earlier in the morning and get back a little later).Check timetables at www.sbb.ch<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Richard