Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wengen hotels in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wengen-hotels-in-october-755218/)

colbeck Dec 28th, 2007 07:12 AM

Wengen hotels in October

We are planning a four night stay in Wengen in early October and are having trouble finding a hotel that is open at that time of year. I have been corresponding with Hotel Schoenegg and they don't know yet when they will be closing for the season. Wonder if that's the case with all the others....
We really prefer Wengen over Grindelwald, but there seem to be more choices in Grindelwald. Any ideas about hotels in either town, or possibly Murren? Comments about how the towns compare would be helpful too. Thanks!

swandav2000 Dec 28th, 2007 07:25 AM

Hi colbeck,

Which other hotels have you tried? Did you try the Alpenrose (www.alpenrose.ch)? I've stayed there twice and loved it.

How about the Silberhorn? The Wengenerhof?

Best of luck!

s

colbeck Dec 28th, 2007 07:40 AM

Thanks S. I have looked into those hotels on several sites and so far all three indicate no availabbility in October.

BarbAnn Dec 28th, 2007 08:29 AM

My husband and I had the same problem (we are going in mid-Oct). I found only one hotel open in both Wegen and Murren. We ended up booking the Eiger Hotel in Grindelwald. We have always stayed in Wegen, but felt it would be too quiet with all the hotels closed. We expenienced that in Murren the last time we went. It was off season and the town was just about all but closed. Grindelwald is bigger, so more is open during the "tween" seasons. Good luck.

enzian Dec 28th, 2007 08:52 AM

It's best to look on each hotel's website. I see that the Alpenruhe in Wengen stayed open through October (and even November) in 2007. They don't show dates for 2008 yet, but it is worth asking.

The Schöenegg also stayed open in October, 2007.

BarbAnn Dec 28th, 2007 09:42 AM

Even some of the websites for the hotels are misleading. I tried to book several of the hotels that indicated they would be open, only to get an email from the hotel stating they were closed at that time. It is best to just email the hotels dierctly with the requested dates.

colbeck Dec 30th, 2007 12:00 PM

Thanks for all your help! We have just about given up on Wengen, for fear that everything will be closed. We have switched attention to Grindelwald and have booked the Hotel Eiger. We tried Hotel Gletschergarten, thinking it had more charm, but they close Oct. 4th. The owners' cousins run Hotel Alte Post and that was suggested as an alternative. Is anyone familiar with that hotel?

pja1 Dec 30th, 2007 12:47 PM

Hi,
A little late I guess, but Hotel Eiger in Wengen is open 'till 10/19. We stayed here years ago on an Oct. trip.

www.eiger-wengen.ch/deutsch/preise/index.html

Paul

enzian Dec 30th, 2007 02:57 PM

colbeck---yes, I have stayed at the Alte Post, on my first trip to Switzerland in 2001. We liked it alot---the rooms were very large and quite modern, but still with that piney Swiss chalet "feel". We had a view out to the grassy slopes beside the hotel, not to the mountains, and unfortunately no balcony. I think their restaurant is a locals' favorite.

I would happily return there; the only reason I haven't is that on subsequent visits we have had the whole family, and booked apartments in stead of hotels.