Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Wengen -Grimsel Pass daytrip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/wengen-grimsel-pass-daytrip-1661280/)

Adelaidean Dec 10th, 2018 11:44 PM

Wengen -Grimsel Pass daytrip

I had thought we were unable to add a Postbus Pass trip to our Bernese Oberland stay in mid June as it seemed they didn’t start the season until later in June. However, I now see that the Grimsel Pass bus begins in late May.
Any opinions on a day trip which I would like to begin in Meiringen (coming from Wengen) and perhaps stopping and returning from Grimsel Hospiz or Gletsch? Just a look around, a stroll or lunch, no hiking. My estimates are about 2 hours of bus travel and 3 hours of train travel, but it’s all lovely landscape and an adventure in itself....

We really liked Meiringen and the valley ride through to Grindelwald and did a lovely walk to Schwarzwaldalp last year, and we’d possibly include the Gelmerbahn next trip, too (but not on the same day).

Much obliged for your thoughts.

Cowboy1968 Dec 11th, 2018 12:33 AM

Last year, it was so warm already in May that I used the natural outdoor pool / mini-lake when staying in Hasliberg ;-)

I did one splendid loop (by car) from Meiringen via Grimsel and Furka to Sasso San Bernado, Airolo, Nufenen and back via Grimsel pass to Meiringen. While it had been sunny and almost too warm (in May!) even in the higher elevations, it had always been Grimsel which got the clouds and some rain.
This is, of course, no indicator that this will be the same when you will be in the area.
It's just a bit of a gamble to place your bets on that one specific pass road on a specific day in June (in case you need to reserve those bus tickets, which I don't know).

Since you obviously know the area already, I suspect that you have already been to the Aare gorge? If not, that is one big highlight, IMO. And easily accessible by train (at both ends, so you don't have to trek back) and bus.

Adelaidean Dec 11th, 2018 01:19 AM

Thanks Cowboy, yes, I do like gorges and that is on my to do list.

Maybe you can come by in your car and give us a ride ;)

Hambagahle Dec 11th, 2018 01:50 AM

In addition to the Aar gorges (very impressive - but you have to pay to get in!) there are the Reichenbach falls near Meiringen. That is the waterfall made "famous" by Conan Doyle where Moriaty killed Sherlock Holmes...

Grimsel pass might not be open in late May and the bus could well stop before the pass. Nonetheless the Bernese side of the Grimsel is really lovely and well worth the trip. IF the passes (Grimsel/Furka/Susten) are all open you could do all three on a bus but I don't think this will be possible in late May - depends on the snow we get this winter and how warm it is in the spring. I wouldn't count on being able to do any of the passes and be delighted if I could!

PalenQ Dec 11th, 2018 08:33 AM

does the Grindelwald bus to Meiringen run in June -it's a lovely rfide up to Grosse Schiedegg and down thru a lovel valley via Reichenbach Falls to Meiringen. We walked that whole route once so bus may be fairly quick.

Cowboy1968 Dec 11th, 2018 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Adelaidean (Post 16838654)
Thanks Cowboy, yes, I do like gorges and that is on my to do list.

Maybe you can come by in your car and give us a ride ;)

If I was living there it would be my pleasure!
But unfortunately that had just been a few days of vacation down there.

By the way, if you think about a rental car for the day, most pass roads are easy to navigate. The only one I found a bit narrow was Furka eastbound from the intersection with Grimsel. Grimsel is two regular wide lanes. Sustenpass is quite mild - hardly what you may have in mind when you think Swiss mountain pass road.

Adelaidean Dec 11th, 2018 11:31 AM

Thanks all, appreciate your comments.
We are definitely not driving, that’s for sure, Cowboy.
We are not used to winding roads...https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...b1ae7641b.jpeg

Our last road trip....

Hambaghale, I will probably add that waterfall to our gorge visit day, thanks.
Pal, we have done that bus ride, love that valley, stopping at the various bus stops and just wandering between them was what we did last year, so beautiful.
I will possibly just wait until we arrive and get advice from the TI.

PalenQ Dec 11th, 2018 11:53 AM

Oh yeah I see now in your OP you did that ride. You could take a boat from Meiringen or Brienz to Interlaken too though you've probably done that. I did the Three Pass bus tour in mid-September and one day the Grimsle Pass was blocked - unusual but never know.

Cowboy1968 Dec 11th, 2018 12:34 PM

Adelaidean — I just love that picture of your road trip!

Adelaidean Dec 11th, 2018 12:56 PM

Cowboy, come to South Australia for your next road trip..

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Cowboy1968 Dec 11th, 2018 02:03 PM

Wow.. just wow!

Hambagahle Dec 12th, 2018 12:50 AM

Adelaidean - if you haven't been to the Brienzer rothorn that would be a good trip. So would Ballenberg... I suspect though you might have already "done" these?

Adelaidean Dec 12th, 2018 02:15 AM

Hambaghale, we had 8 nights in Wengen last year and didn’t get to either of these, they were on my ‘list’ as possibilities.
I have recently been to Germany and visited the Hohenlohe Open Air Museum near Schwäbisch Hall - sounds much like Ballenberg, fantastic display, so interesting.

Cowboy1968 Dec 12th, 2018 02:29 AM

Show dairy Emmental
Erlebnisse, Gastronomie, Veranstaltungen, Unterkünfte [EN] - Emmentaler Schaukäserei

Unfortunately, this place is not easy to reach with public transport from Wengen.
But when you're a cheese lover and want to explore one of the signature cheeses of Switzerland, Affoltern im Emmental is easy enough to reach from Bern (the city, not the Berner Oberland) with public transport. Or by car from any other location in the region.
The restaurant offers a multitude of cheese-related dishes, with a grand vista of the Alps in the distance.

Cowboy1968 Dec 12th, 2018 02:39 AM

Duh - I had wanted to post this link a while ago, but always forgot to do it.

When I was in the region (Hasliberg-Meiringen) I used this website a lot to find inspiration for hikes and sights:
https://www.grimselwelt.ch/en/excursion-tips
Caveat: Hiking season will start in May, but there is no guarantee that all hikes described here will be open and accessible - depends on weather, how quickly spring season comes to the higher elevations.
Also check out the section on "Transportation" - it lists the different cable cars operated by that public utility company.
I think that most if not all are served by public bus routes. The respective connections are mentioned at the bottom of each page.

Adelaidean Dec 12th, 2018 02:44 AM

Excellent website, thanks for that.

neckervd Dec 12th, 2018 08:50 AM

TIMETABLES OF TRAINS, BUSES AND MOUNTAIN RAILWAYS IN THE MEIRINGEN-HALSITAL AREA (FOR MAY/EARLY JUNE 2019)

Meiringen - Handegg - Gelmersee:
Meiringen dp 7.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, 14.45, from May 25th
Meiringen dp 13.18, from June 8th

Meiringen - Gadmen - Taelli Hut:
Meiriingen dp 6.56, 7.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, from May 11th

Meiringen - Schwarzwaldalp - Grosse Scheidegg - Grindelwald:
Meiringen dp 8.20, 10.20, 13.20, 15.20, from May 18th
Grindelwald dp 8.04, 10.04, 13.04, 15.04, from May 18th

Meiringen - Grimsel Dam - Grimsel Pass - Oberwald railway station:
Meiringen dp 9.25, 13.25, from June 8th
Grimsel Pass dp to Meiringen: 11.38, 16.17, from June 8th
Grimsel Dam - Sidelhorn (trail to Grimsel Pass): from June 8th

Meiringen -Triftbahn - Trift (trail to Trift Bridge):
Meiriingen dp 6.56, 7.45, 10.45, 11.45, 12.45, from June 8th

Meiringen - Reut:i
Meiringen dp about every 30 min, from May 4th

Meiringen - Reuti - Maegisalp:
Meiringen dp about every 30 min, from May 25th

Brienz - Brienzer Rothorn - Soerenberg Rothornbahn - Schuepfheim - Lucerne:
about every hr, from June 1st

Brienz - Brienzer Rothorn - Soerenberg Rothornbahn - Moerlialp - Giswil railway station:
Brienzer Rothorn dp 9.30, 15.30, from June 8th

Adelaidean Dec 12th, 2018 12:53 PM

Thanks, neckervd, very helpful.

Hambagahle Dec 12th, 2018 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Adelaidean (Post 16839139)
Hambaghale, we had 8 nights in Wengen last year and didn’t get to either of these, they were on my ‘list’ as possibilities.
I have recently been to Germany and visited the Hohenlohe Open Air Museum near Schwäbisch Hall - sounds much like Ballenberg, fantastic display, so interesting.

Ballenberg is outstanding. I have been to similar places in other countries - Norway for one - but this is really something! And it is huge. You need 6 hours at least to see everything, possibly more. There are two entrances - doesn't matter which one you start at because you just work your way to the other. Be sure to get a map! And in most of the regional groupings there are restaurants with local food. We had an excellent polenta in the "Ticino" for example.
When you are at the entrance get the schedule for the day as well. There are some excellent crafts demonstrations.

PalenQ Dec 13th, 2018 09:30 AM

Comnine a boat ride on Lake Brienz with Ballenberg - take bus from Brienz and then frompark to Meiringen and train back to Interlaken - check our Reichenbach Falls near Meiringen and the tiny English chapel in Meiringen.