Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wellington Society Tours in Spain? (with The Chairman)

Mar 21st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

I have an opportunity to take one of their tours in Toledo (did not get response when I inquired about other options in this city) and have heard good things about "The Chairman." The tours are very expensive and I would like to hear from others who have taken them and would like to comment. Thanks so much!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have any experience taking tours with Stephen Drake-Jones? Thanks!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:19 AM

ek,

We did his Tapas bar tour in Madrid, in 2001. I thought it was very interesting, would definitely recommend that tour. Unfortunately I have no information on his Toledo tour.

William
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

William: Thanks so much! I am debating because his tours are VERY expensive for just the two of us. Were you impressed with his historical knowledge and his presentation? I know one person who took a tour with him (Chinchon) and while he liked the tour, he said a lot of time was spent in bars! I am sure you did this on the tapas tour, but that sounds great. He surely sounds like a character but I am wondering about the price/value equation here.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:43 AM

ek,
I thought he was very good, gave quite a bit of interesting historical perspective on Madrid. He is definitely a character.

I cannot really speak about the price of his other tours, but the tapas tour itself was not that expensive (we did pay for our own drinks & tapas, however, so that should probably be figured into the total cost).
Now that I remember we had inquired about other tours, but wer unable to coordinate our schedules.

I also believe there is/was some talk about him on Rick Steve's site.
W