Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WEIRD ITALY QUESTIONS!-venice/rome/milan/florence

Jul 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
I've googled and searched but can't find answers to the following. I know they're not huge big deals, but some would be nice to know...if anyone could provide me with any clues/tips/tricks I'd really appreciate it-thank you!

I bought a ticket for a sleeping apartment (two people) on an overnight train from Rome to Milan. Does anyone know if there's an attached bathroom? Are there showers on the train? Are there showers at or near Milano Centrale station?

Venice-staying three days, staying near Piazzale Roma in Santa Croce. Worth it to buy the 3-day Vaporetto pass, or better just to walk(I'm healthy, great shape).

Rome-luggage storage at Termini Station. It sounds like there are long lines to leave luggage-is there quite a wait to pick it up as well?

Here's something that I can't find any information on: I'm a single woman in my 30's travelling alone. Are there neighborhoods to avoid in any of the major cities? I arrive late in Venice, Florence and Rome and will be arriving after dark. My hotels are fairly close to all train stations.

And here's one that I need advice on: I arrive early (7:15) in the morning in Milan. I plan on staying for 3-4 hours, then taking a trip somewhere nearby and staying overnight (want cheaper, quieter, slower pace). Any suggestions? (I've heard alot about Como and Cinque Terra but want something completely different-perhaps a 'hidden gem).

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:18 AM

<<Are there neighborhoods to avoid in any of the major cities? I arrive late in Venice, Florence and Rome and will be arriving after dark. My hotels are fairly close to all train stations.>>

Avoid neighborhoods for what reason? Safety? You'll be safe everywhere, but the areas within 5-10 blocks of the train stations are always the least charming neighborhoods (though safe enough).

Any reason you choose to stay near the train stations? Taxis are easily available at the stations and cheap (except water taxis in Venice, in which case you'll want a vaporetto - the whole city is very safe).

Get the 3-day vaporetto pass in Venice, you'll get your money's worth.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:32 AM

I would take a taxi to your hotel from Termini station in Rome if arriving after dark.

No, don't buy the Vaporetto pass.

I have never heard of showers on the trains or at Milano Centrale. Do you have to take an overnight train? Rome to Milan is only 5 hours.

Try Pavia near Milano for your overnight. But wouldn't it make more sense to pick a town between Rome and Milan for an overnight (instead of taking the overnight train) and then tour Milan the next day?

What is your itinerary?

Jul 31st, 2006, 09:30 AM

One Grand Canal vaparettto ticket costs 5 euros. The pass costs 25 euros. Will you ride more than 5 times?

I recommend you ride at least twice: the full length of the Grand Canal once during the day and once at night.
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:16 AM

Depends on the type of train, some double compartments have a shower, some don't. Mine have been: no shower, no toilet, two beds, sink, window, with shared toilet no shower, down the hall.

You'll definitely want to use the vaporetto for at least a ride or two. I just got individual tickets as I needed one.

I found Venice extremely safe-feeling as solo female but I didn't spend anytime around the train station so can't answer to that specifically.

Jul 31st, 2006, 10:26 AM

Be wary around train stations and by the Tiber in Rome at night and just be aware anywhere when you are walking alone, it is just common sense. If you see an area start to get iffy, walk like you are street smart.

Bergamo is a nice town right outside of Milan.