Notices

weekly market in Siena and San Gimignano

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Joanne

weekly market in Siena and San Gimignano

If anone has been in either of these towns on market day, what are they like? Produce only? we are staying in siena for 3 nights with day trip to San G. and wonder if we should schedule our time to tour the town on those days or not?

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Bob

It was ten years ago, but the Siena market had a variety of everything from food to clothes to small farm tools and machinery.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Michelle

We were in Siena in November 1994. The market was on a Wed. or Thurs. and they had EVERYTHING. Produce, clothing, housewares etc. I bought a garlic press thinking it must be good since its from Italy---it's been the worst garlic press I've ever used!! Schedule your time for the sights, not the markets. If it's market day great, if not, that's OK.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Henry

Siena market day is Wed. It caters to the ;ocals needs (clothes, linens, cooking stuff, dinner ware, etc.). They must have three hundred vendors. Be aware that parking is tough on Wed morning.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Daniel

Thursday is market day in San Gimignano. It sounds picturesque, but it is not. Both squares in the old town, Piazza della Cisterna and Piazza Duomo, are filled with vans from early morning until 1 pm. They sell mostly things like socks and underwear, bedclothes and kitchen utensil.