What about dresses???

Search

What about dresses???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about dresses???

Ok, so, to many travelers' suggestions, I've searched the forum for "clothes Italy" to try and figure out how to best optimize my packing for our upcoming 34 day trip...

We will each have a 21" carry-on luggage + a shoulder tote for me and a small backpack for my hubby.

Now, I'm trying to figure out the best clothing combinations for our destinations: Rome, Amalfi and Barcelona. 1 week in each place, so we will do laundry. We're leaving July 1st so we are anticipating crazy heat

Of everything I've read so far on the forum, I haven't really seen feedback concerning summer dresses... I don't own shorts, and barely a few skirts. Summer for me is either a summer dress or a long top (about mid-thigh) with some leggings below the knee.

So.... Does this sound like a good strategy? Do I really need to pack some full length pants?

As for my husband, we were thinking a bunch of breezy collared button shirts, polos, some long (below the knee) khaki shorts, and a few pairs of light pants...

I did like the reference to "anything Banana Republic style should do"... Is that the general idea?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be super stylish. But, I do want us to be comfortable and somewhat appropriate...

Any advise would help, including referrals to specific posts. I did read what I could find, but would love to get my hand on more if it's already there

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Your idea of dresses is a good one, it will be very hot and personally I find dresses cooler than shorts. Some people say that their legs chafe but if that is an issue you can use BodyGlide on your legs or wear Spanx shorts underneath your dress.

We did a three week trip to Italy and Paris three years ago and I wore mostly dresses but I also had a great pair of linen pants and some dressy jeans which I wore at night and in Paris where it wasn't as hot.
It is easier to pack too if it is mostly dresses as you don't have to worry about co-ordinating tops and bottoms.

Have fun!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM

I wear summer dresses all the time, in the USA and Europe. I don't follow Banana Republic style but rather my own instinct, but I sure don''t think Banana Republic is typical European style.

I dress the way I want to dress whether I'm in the USA or Europe or India or Africa. That means that, today, for example, on a fairly mild summer day in DC, I am wearing a white cotton sleeveless top and Lily pink floral skirt with big pockets because I must have pockets. My SO is wearing a very pale pink linen shirt with sleeves rolled up and linen pants also with pockets, and Euro sandals, by which I mean the type that you wrap around your ankles and your toes.
Basically, I dress the way I want to - nice tops, flowing skirts, tight jeans, tight tops, hey I'm almost 60....whatever works...
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM
kja

If you prefer dresses, wear them! Just be sure to have something to cover your shoulders with you in case you want to enter a church or it cools down.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM

For daytime in summer I usually wear light dresses or capris/tops with walking sandals.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Dresses are cool - in both senses of the word and I'm pretty
sure I know what Banana Republic style would look like and I
think it would be perfect for the places you are going.

My DH wears linen shirts/pants or 'nice' tees and always
looks (that word again) cool.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I prefer thin linen pants/capris to dresses. When it's really hot, the pants will wick the moisture away.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

All great points! Thank you

For the churches, I guess the dress would need to be below the knee? Mine are usually at the knee or an inch above...

Maybe I could just have a pair of thin leggings in my purse?

Love the tip about the "spanx"! Will pack a few pair of short ones and that will fix the chaffing problem

Thanks again!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM

I don't think your dresses need to be below the knee. Right at the knee or an inch or so above would be fine, IMO. Just not a mini-skirt. I think for women the bigger issue is covering the shoulders if you're going into a church. And your husband may not get into churches with shorts on, even below the knee - I've seen buys with Bermuda shorts turned away at the Vatican.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM

I think at the knee or an inch above will probably be fine for your dresses. For some reason, bare shoulders are an issue so if your dresses are sleeveless, you'll want a light scarf or sweater to cover them. Of course, this might be a good excuse to buy a pretty scarf!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
ekc

dresses are great - I am taking 3 for my trip in September. Put a scarf in your purse that you can cover your shoulders with when visiting a church - I usually take a pashmina, but I don't go in the summer!

Your hubby will be fine.