Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weekend trip from Valladolid to Granada...possible?

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Scott

At the advice of Mariarosa, I am going to individualize my questions to maximize responses (hopefully).

I will be studying in Valladolid for six weeks this summer. I was wondering if it is possible to take a weekend trip to Granada to see the Alhambra and the area in general. How long is the journey from Valladolid to Granada? I am assuming train is the best way...or am I wrong? I need to keep things as cost-effective as possible. Any other sites in that area that I should/could visit?

Thanks Fodorites!!

Mar 27th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Rex

I'm going to have to send you a bill for tuition, Scott! (just kidding - - always free and unlimited advice here).

Valladolid depends on your definition of a weekend - - does it include Friday?

You do have to break this trip up to get route, schedule and fare information.

The website www.renfe.es gives you the following information:

Valladolid to Madrid (Chamartin?) about 2 hrs 40 minutes, tourist class 1970 to 2700 ESP.

Madrid (Puerto de Atocha) to Linares-Baeza about 3 hrs 20 minutes, tourist class 3300 ESP

Linares-Baeza to Granada another 2 and 1/2 hours at 1480-2300 ESP.

So it's a very long day, for example:

11:13 to 13:42 or
12:21 to 14:55
then
15:25 to 18:49
then
18:51 to 21:40

But I think that Granada is very worthwhile,

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 27th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Mariarosa

Hi Scott! Hopefully Maribel will show up and help you with Galicia.

As Rex suggested www.renfe.es will be invaluable as a planning tool. Valladolid - Madrid will be 2.5-2.75 hours, then you have to change trains in Madrid and Madrid - Granada is another 6 hours. It is doable if you can "borrow" a day from your studies. Spend all of Friday traveling down to Granada. Spend all of Saturday in Granada. You want to allow 5 hours to visit the Alhambra - not only it's rooms are beautiful but the gardens are gorgeous and extensive. Then you can use the rest of your Saturday to walk around the charming streets on the Albaycin. Then , on Sunday travel all the way back to Valladolid. A car rental will cut your travel time, but it will be pricier - maybe you can split the cost of the car rental and the driving with other students in your program?

Mar 27th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Rex

Since we don't know your age, I am going to take a guess that you are under 25 - - and so, you may have never had the opportunity to rent a car (in the US) before. In Europe, you should be able to find rentals to drivers 21 or older.

A good reason to learn (well) to drive a manual transmission before you leave here.

Mar 27th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Scott

Thank you for your pieces of advice, Rex and Mariarosa. I am starting to get an idea of what i will have to go through...I just hope I can afford it.

i am piecing my time in Europe together all by myself at this point in time. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone else that is going over yet...I actually haven't been approved myself, but it is just a matter of days, I believe. But rest assured, to make the trip affordable, I'm going to try to get enough people together to split costs!!

And Rex--thanks for the advice on the manual transmission...I've had that covered for the last 5 years!! It's almost to the point where I hate to drive an automatic....

Thanks again!

Mar 28th, 2001, 11:42 PM
topper

have topped