Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weekend Away from London by Train - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a destination within 4 hours of London (by train) to visit for a few nights over the long Easter weekend.

Key highlights for the destination would be within walking distance (or a short bus ride) of the main train station, small enough not to just be 'just another big city in the UK', but large enough that safety won't be a concern for a single female traveller.

Would like to mainly relax at a B&B or mid-range hotel and have the opportunity to walk around during the day - either hill walks, walks along the water, or walks through town.

I've been to the main spots already (Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge, Liverpool, Cardiff, Betws-y-Coed, Lake District, Stratford-upon-Avon, Bath, Windsor, Arundel, etc.), so was ideally looking for something new. Something similiar to Stratford or Ambleside would be great, as I really enjoyed those visits.

Tips would be appreciated.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Canterbury, Ely, York; and if you are willing to extend your train travel to 4 1/2 hours, you could go to Edinburgh.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I've been to Edinburgh and the train tickets to York were very expensive, but I'll look in to Canterbury and Ely. (Never heard of Ely before!)
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Penzance.

Walk through town, over the hills, along the water. Land's End is about ten miles from town, not too far to bike. Many layers of history, from paleolithic through the Pirates of Penzance/Wreckers era to contemporary lifeboat services.

We paid a cabby £10 (in 1983!) to drive us around all morning regaling us with the local lore.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Ely is a great little town but there may not be much to do there so a little bit larger place may be better if it is for a few days. There is a great cathedral in Ely if you are into cathedrals.

Canterbury is a favorite of mine - very touristy town but still very interesting and it has a beautiful cathedral.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 11:21 AM

If you liked Stratford, consider Shropshire - in particular Shrewsbury and Ludlow.

Lovely medieval towns crammed with black-and-white timbered houses, and castles everywhere, Shropshire being border country. Staggeringly beautiful countryside too.

Chester could be also a good option for you.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:41 PM
ira

Hi AS,

Cardiff is 2 hr by train.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Durham, with superb cathedral, a castle and nice riverbank walks also good local transport.

<i>large enough that safety won't be a concern for a single female traveller</i>

Didn't really understand that, I would have thought smaller was better. What about Settle, small market town in Yorkshire Dales with great local walks?

Michael
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Salisbury is worth considering -- an astonishing cathedral (and environs), with other interesting sights. Very walkable, some great pubs, with scenic walks both in and around the city, including up to Old Sarum (lovely walk along a river then through some fields and up the hill to the old city). Also an easy trip from there to Stonehenge, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Salisbury is a great suggestion, we used it as a &quot;home base&quot; one trip and it was great. Winchester is another good place to visit.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:57 PM
ed

Canterbury is beautiful and the area around the cathedral is very walkable.

There was a Mexican restaurant just outside the gate. We didn't have the courage to try.

Shrewsbury is also interesting and if you can get to the iron bridge you can get a bit of history in a spectacular valley.

Chester is intriguing. We walked around the the walls. History on a short walk. The hotel that we stayed in is in the walls on bridge street. It is no longer open. Sob :-B

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:56 PM

I studied in Norwich and loved it. A nice middle size city. Great cathedral and older part of town.

However some of these other options sound great too.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've been to Cardiff (one of my favorite cities in the UK). I'll look in to the other recommendations though.

As a single female I like to travel in cities that are large enough for me to not feel conspicuous - I don't like feel that I stand out because I am by myself. Just a personal safety preference - there needs to be someone nearby to hear me scream!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM

I think you should go to Durham.
Sounds about right for you.

Amazing Cathedral, nice walks. close to Newcastle if you want to spend a day shopping or sightseeing there. Bus rides into the Wear Valley which has some lovely small towns like Stanhope for country rambles. Beamish Open Air Museaum... a Banquet at Lumley Castle... easy reach of the coast.