Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Week trip with 4 year old daughter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/week-trip-with-4-year-old-daughter-694602/)

julieh Apr 6th, 2007 03:15 PM

Week trip with 4 year old daughter

I'm looking for advice on our itinerary for our upcoming trip from the US in May. I'll be travelling with my four year old daughter - who is quite interested in most things, but still has a child's attention span. We will be visiting my sister who lives in N. London.

Here is the plan as we have it:
Day 1 - Friday
Arrive at 8:15. Walk in Hampstead Heath - Kenwood House for a snack or to the playground for my daughter. My sister thinks we won't remember too much of this day!

Day 2 - Saturday
Leeds Castle or Hever Castle (Which do you vote for??)

Day 3 - Sunday
Early start and into central London for all of the famous sites. Depending on weather, we could spend all afternoon in St James' park (Buckingham Palace).

Day 4 - Monday
British Museum
Covent Garden
Afternoon tea

Day 5 - Tuesday
History Museum
Kensington Park
Harrod's toy department
Pack that night

Day 6 - Wednesday
Anything we've missed out in the morning
Heathrow express to airport around 12.

Alright -- Hit me with any thoughts!!
Thanks so much for your help!
Julie

julieh Apr 6th, 2007 03:16 PM

Oops! I forgot to mention we were going to London in the header!!

JoeTro Apr 6th, 2007 03:20 PM

With all due respect, I don't think you can see "all of the famous sites" in central London in one day.

I'd recommend not visiting a castle on Day 2 and using that time instead for more of London.

I think you and your daughter will enjoy the British Museum. I've never been to the history museum, but that seems like another good choice for a child.

I'm not sure if an art museum will bore you/her, but there are loads of good ones. I especially like the National Gallery, but places like the Wallace Collection, Courtauld and Tate Britain are excellent and under-appreciated by tourists.

Parks are also a good idea that time of year and with a young child.

JoeTro Apr 6th, 2007 03:25 PM

Sorry, one more museum thought is the V & A. There is an exhibition there on Kylie Minogue and fashion which may suit you and your daughter. I've not personally seen it, but it might be something that a young girl would like.

janisj Apr 6th, 2007 03:55 PM

I would not go to either Leeds (not much as castles go - nice grounds though) or Hever (not much left of the original castle since it was modernized by Astor in the early 1900's - but absolutely magnificent grounds).

If it had to be one - it would be Hever (but I'd also go to nearby Chartwell and Penshurst). Definitely not Leeds.

Better choices IMHO if you really want to get away from central London would be Hampton Court Palace or Windsor.

By "History Museum" - do you mean the Natural History Museum? it is a good choice for small kids - especially if they are dinosaur fanatics.

FauxSteMarie Apr 6th, 2007 04:11 PM

If the City of London Museum is what is meant by a history museum, it is great for kids.

At your daughter's age I would not structure your trip too much. I would leave plenty of time for running around in the parks and exploring your sister's neighborhood. You just can't do too much with a 4 year old.

You might want to investigate getting tickets to a musical (one of the child friendly ones). Not all of them are sold out and you might be able to get half price tickets on the day of at Leicester Square.

You will both be exhausted on the first day. Your daughter probably will sleep more on the plane than you will.

travelbunny Apr 6th, 2007 05:46 PM

..agree with Marie..keep things simple. The kids seem to get a great charge out of the simplest things. These views of the world by my kids have always made the trips for me..feeding swans in Green Park..running down the hill in Greenwich, the bird who "pooped" on them in Phoenix Park ect...

beaupeep Apr 6th, 2007 09:17 PM

What about the London Eye - the giant ferris wheel?

FauxSteMarie Apr 7th, 2007 06:43 PM

The London Eye would be great if your daughter is no afraid of heights. Lots of kids that age are. Ask HER if she wants to go. If she does, go. If not, don't. She's only 4 and the last thing you want is to make her miserable because she is scared.

StephCar Apr 10th, 2007 04:21 PM

Last summer, my then 4 year old LOVED Warwick Castle. I know it is not on your list, but its an idea nonetheless. Hampton Court and Windsor were also good for the kids (and also preferable to most adults).

We also did National Gallery which was a surprising hit as well, esp. since it was followed by running around Trafalgar Square afterwards. But before we went we looked over a kids book on National Gallery (Usbourne books) to get him up to speed. The best part was when we saw Van Gogh's Sunflowers and said "Mommy, that is YOUR painting from YOUR bedroom that they have." I wish.

Good luck.

Carolina Apr 10th, 2007 07:13 PM

The Tower of London is worth a trip and popular with children. An open top bus may be a good way of seeing some of the sites. I would stay in London the whole time, and as has already been said, be flexible. Hamleys toy shop is usually a big hit!

Carolena

W9London Apr 11th, 2007 06:55 AM

Some more suggestions and comments from a Londoner with a(n almost) 5-yr old daughter. First day at Kenwood House is an excellent idea--we had a lovely walk just over the Easter Break. Golders Green park nearby has a lovely mini pet-zoo with deers and a good playground. You can try feeding ducks/swans at Regent's Park as well. Or you can do London Zoo/canal boat ride. Also try Princess Di playground in Hyde park.

I would NOT recommend London Eye. Not only the height can be quite scary, what can be seen from a small child's eyesight can be quite limited.

Castles may be better for older kids (not much interest for interiors for the toddlers), though Heaver castle has a nice garden. Science Museum and Natural History Museum are close to each other, both are my daughters favourite. V&A/Kylie Minogue would not be an age-appropriate attraction for a 4yr old. As much as I love them, there is also very little attractions for young children at National Portrait Gallery, Wallace Collection, Somerset House or Tate.

I personally find Harrod's toy department underwhelming aside from Christmas time, relative to Hamley's. You probably won't have much time on the last day, if you need to catch HEX at 12.

kahwahlib Apr 11th, 2007 04:03 PM

My daughters are 3 and 6 and love both the British Museum and the National Gallery (yes, because they can chase pigeopns later). Golders Hill Park after Kenwood above is a great idea. I would do Tower of London, rather than a castle, and would give Buckingham Palace a miss. The highlight for any child though, would be the Pirate Ship in the Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens. Feeding ducks at the Serpentine in Hyde Park.Have a lovely time.

KidsToLondon Apr 25th, 2007 08:27 AM

The Science Museum has terrific hands-on exhibits tailored for young children.

Another vote for Hamley's over Harrod's toy dept.

And you cannot go wrong with the Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens.

At age 4, sometimes simply riding on the top level of a doubledecker bus is a treat itself.

Regarding castles...I'm not sure a 4 year old really CARES what castle you visit. But if it was Windsor Castle you could add nearby Legoland (something most 4-year olds would enjoy).

Dave
mail#kidstolondon.com

clz Apr 25th, 2007 09:27 AM

My daughters are 4 and 5 and I'd ditto the votes for:
*Princess Diana playground
*Hamleys
*Science Museum and Natural History Museum
*London Eye and all the street performers on the walk along the river
*Train and double decker bus rides, especially at night to see the lights.
*Tower of London, esp. the jewels.
*If you really want to go to a castle, I agree Warwick is a good one for kids.