Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Week in Tuscany - Advice?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/week-in-tuscany-advice-285714/)

DK Feb 6th, 2003 11:12 PM

Week in Tuscany - Advice??

Hello all - a friend and I (women mid-20's) are planning a week in Tuscany. We'd prefer to stick to public transport instead of driving. We'd love to spend more time in the countryside than the towns, but a mix of both would be best. Can you recommend your favorite hotels / guest houses / b&bs around Tuscany, as well as any can't-miss locations? Also, in case there are any runners out there...if you know of any good running routes or tour companies with bike/walking tours. Thanks in advance!!

rex Feb 7th, 2003 04:11 AM

There's a paradox here in my mind, to see this wonderful part of Italy, and deprive yourself of the freedom of driving, setting your schedule and destinations.<BR><BR>that aside, I am thinking that this website would be a good palce to start, using the numersous bus routes which connect siena to other towns, big and small:<BR><BR>http://www.turismoverde.com/italia/trasport/bus.htm<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>

bobthenavigator Feb 7th, 2003 05:52 AM

Being tied to public transport will limit your small village options. If you truly want to get off-the-path then you will need a car. Otherwise, only Siena and Florence will have adequate transport links for you. And, you will be tied to bus and rail schedules. Good luck !

Alice_Twain Feb 7th, 2003 06:15 AM

Add Lucca, Pistoia and Pisa to the list of public transport friendly cities of Tuscany.

JackOneill Feb 7th, 2003 06:26 AM

<BR><BR>If you have the time (since there is so much stuff to see there), head over to the coast to Cinque Terre. It's glorious there. It's five little towns that hug the cliff overlooing the ocean. Wow. As for running, I can't answer that, but there is some great hillside walking between the towns at the Cinque Terre.

KathyNZ Feb 7th, 2003 03:32 PM

Once again - getting to any area of Tuscany from Florence is a breeze, train, Sita bus which covers some areas the tain does not go to. However, once you have decided where to base yourself, don't forget the local bus services are very good. Best to base in a larger town as I went one day to Castellina in Chianti and found it to be a very small village with nothing to see and only walking through the countryside the main reason to go. I then jumped back on the next train and went back to Poggibonsi and took the 15 minute ride up the hill to San Gimignano where there is both beautiful and the lovely old town to see. Lonely Planet's guide to Tuscany is a good read and offers plenty of information.

rex Feb 7th, 2003 07:38 PM

up to the top, for DK<BR><BR>

DK Feb 8th, 2003 05:59 AM

Thanks to all of you, and to Rex for sending my msg back up to the top... Happy to drive - just thought public transport might be easier. What if we do drive? Would that change recommendations for small towns? I'm living in London and adore traveling but need a break from cities...! Thanks again...

bobthenavigator Feb 8th, 2003 08:50 AM

Mid-size towns like Siena, Lucca, and Pisa are all easily done by bus or train. But, Tuscany to me is Volterra, Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, and a dozen smaller hill towns. Fly into Pisa or Florence and spend 3 days seeing the mid-size by train, ending in Siena. Then, get the car and explore the smaller villages for the next 3 days. Look at www.palazzodelcapitano.com for a good base location for south Tuscany.

Huitres Feb 9th, 2003 01:01 AM

Definitely don't miss Pisa and Lucca! The latter being one of the most beautiful cities I have stayed in Tuscany. Also, happens to be the only Tuscan town that is &quot;flat&quot; and not in the mountains/hills, so very easy to navigate once there. Have fun!