Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Week in Europe for Thanksgiving (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/week-in-europe-for-thanksgiving-564925/)

jjsd Oct 16th, 2005 01:01 PM

Week in Europe for Thanksgiving

I would like to travel to Europe for about 7-10 days during Thanksgiving week. I'm looking at either southern Italy or Greece, only because it maybe a little warmer than Paris or London.

Any suggestions on where to go?

Thanks!

ira Oct 16th, 2005 01:18 PM

Hi jj,

>Any suggestions on where to go? <

Your local library, Travel section.

When you have some idea of your itinerary come back and we will help you refine it.

((I))

elaine Oct 16th, 2005 01:21 PM

How do you want to spend your time?

LJ Oct 16th, 2005 01:28 PM

Southern Italy in late Novemeber can be mild (i.e. mid-sixties)but this is also a rainy season. Having said that we spent that holiday in Puglia a couple of years ago with friends who have olive groves there and, while it was not swimming weather, I have photos of the gang in short sleeves against backdrops of clear blue skies.

Nimrod Oct 16th, 2005 01:33 PM

The Puglia region, the heel of Italy, sounds enchanting.

http://travel.independent.co.uk/euro...ticle47999.ece

---

Why would one be instructed to visit a library, probably obtaining outdated tourist information/facts, when they are already ON the internet -- and a travel site at that!?

suze Oct 17th, 2005 11:39 AM

How about Sicily or Malta?

That said, it would be easier to answer your question if we had a clue as to what it is you are interested in seeing and doing.

AisleSeat Oct 17th, 2005 03:42 PM

I think "where" would be more important to me than the weather. Have you been to Europe before? What do you like to do, see? Most folks start the Europe experience with London, Paris or Rome (or Venice). If you are lookiing for swimsuit weather you might reconsider and try Hawaii.

jjsd Oct 19th, 2005 11:14 AM

I've been to London, Paris, Zurich and Barcelona and loved every single one of them! I love experiencing all the different types of food, the culture, the people, the arts/architecture, etc.

I am going with my boyfriend and though we would do some of the tourist-y stuff (museums, site-seeing etc), we also like to just hang out in cafe's and walking around the city. It's my first time traveling to Europe in November though.

We're pretty much open to going anywhere in Europe, but someplace with good food and where it's not *too* cold...

Leely Oct 19th, 2005 11:24 AM

How 'bout Rome?

AisleSeat Oct 19th, 2005 01:22 PM

Rome or Venice will be good bets unless you also consider Barcelona and Madrid.

Kate Oct 20th, 2005 07:12 AM

At that time of year I really wouldn't let the weather be a deciding factor - it 'may' be a few degrees warmer further south, but you'll still need a coat and an umbrella.

jjsd Nov 2nd, 2005 06:16 AM

Thanks everyone for all the responses! I've decided fly into London, then travel to Pisa (Florence) on Ryanair - It was much cheaper to do that than to fly straight into Florence from US. I still can't believe how low the fares are on Ryanair!!

I have about a week in Italy before having to fly back into London to come back home. I want to visit Tuscany and Venice, but have no idea how to best spend my 7 days there. What would be the best way to get to Venice from Florence? Would it be best to fly out of PISA or Venice (to London?)

Thanks again...

LJ Nov 2nd, 2005 11:05 AM

Assuming it will be Ryanair for you return to London, too, then I would pick Venice as part of my trip and would travel to Venice from Florence by train which is painless.

The are three things about Ryanair to keep in mind. The first is that its departure from London point is Stansted airport and you MUST leave a lot of time for transfer from any other airport to get out there(and vice versa on the return trip). But if that means an extra day in London, well, that just doubles the pleasure of a Thanksgivng getaway, doesn't it?

The second thing is that Ryanair has very low limits on free baggage, either check in or carry on, and you MUST comply or pay very high penalities. Check out the details on their website and weigh your bagggage before leaving home.

The third is that you must be in their check-out line in plenty of time because, to a large degree, Ryanair is a first come, first served carrier and will not break the rules for those who arrive late EVEN if their reservation was made way in advance.

Having said all these off-putting things, let me add that my DH and I and our kids have travelled Ryanair very happily all over Europe without any ugly incidents and we are big fans.

lmhornet Nov 2nd, 2005 11:17 AM

"Your local library, Travel section.

When you have some idea of your itinerary come back and we will help you refine it."

Drat. I've got to agree with Ira again. Nothing worse than lazy people who expect everyone to spoonfeed them.

jjsd Nov 4th, 2005 02:47 PM

Thanks LJ for telling me about RyanAir! It will be first time flying on RyanAir so everything you said was very informative.

It'll also be first time for me in Italy, so though I've checked out a lot of tour books, etc., I was hoping I could get some info on cool things and places some of the "experienced" travelers experienced that are not always writtne on tour books.

Thanks,
jj