Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

week btwn Christmas & New Year's always high season?

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any place that won't consider week btwn Christmas & New Year's as high season with their highest rates? This year I have arranged to take off the week between Christmas and New Year's because the way the holidys fall provides 10 days off fom work using only 4 vacation days. I have resigned myself to staying home with day trips. I used to travel to Europe on the shoulder season in November or March-April. Lately, I started instead to take a Carribean cruise in the first 2 weeks of December, before the :"holiday season" starts. Open to suggestions. I have been researching & hunting , but have not found anything yet. Thank you Fodorites!
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM

I'm headed for China that week and that seems to be low season prices for everything. The flights to get there are by far the largest portion of my expenses. Granted, it'll be a bit chilly.

I'm in a similar situation with vacation time from work - I'll take 3 days of vacation time and be gone for 15 days. Can't pass that up!

I can't really think of anywhere in Europe that wouldn't consider Christmas to be high season. Sorry.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Iowa- thanks for the reply. I think you're right about Europe. Hope you'll post a trip report on your return. I enjoy your posts. I couldn't manage China right now.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM

You figure everyone else (well, everyone certainly in the academic world) is in the same boat as you are in terms of their desire to maximize their vacation at this time of year, so naturally it is a crowded time.

Add to that students going home in both directions from semesters abroad, and the airlines are packed. We have had decent rates on Icelandic at that time of year, but you have to look at very specific days. There were significant differences in price one day on either side of our flights.

You could save money by flying on Christmas Day, but where? You really don't want to arrive in London, for example, on Boxing Day, and with Christmas on a Saturday this year, it is likely that nothing much will be open on Monday, either.

It is a dilemma unless you went somewhere with friends and made your own fun.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ackislander - those are practical points. I think I would be happy spending the day of my arrival exploring and walking, wouldn't nceessarily need a venue. But it will be the airfare that will be tricky as you mentioned. Guess I'll continue to check for last minute spots to be filled, I think. NYC museums and shows wouldn't be a bad last resort. Anyone have anything I missed - please let me know!