Wedding vow renewal on the beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2015, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be married 30 years next month and we're taking a trip to Barcelona for a week and then Mallorca for another week. We'd like to renew our wedding vows on the beach and then have a beautiful meal afterwards. Our hotel gave us recommendations but the cost is way over the top. Does anyone have any suggestions for an officiate to marry us again and then a nice romantic restaurant where we can celebrate ?
Old May 17th, 2015, 04:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure if you can be married again (not really a European thing) but yes you can get people to officiate at a fake second marriage or you can get people to bless your marriage (the latter would be a faith orientated thing)

The costs should be relativley low you just to be specific about what you want. Adding the word "Wedding" to the word "flowers" will double the price.

I would work out if this is a faith issue or a civil issue. SInce there is no such thing as a second civil wedding you just need someone who wants to make a noise and give you a bit of paper. If a faith issue you need to contact a celebrant of the nearest church that fits in with what you want to do and do a deal with them.

Google the faith thing and find someone to do the deed (we did this 2 years ago as part of a real wedding in Italy and ended up paying E400 for a front room of a palace for 2 hours, a man in a ribbon and a 24 glasses of fizzy) deal done (photos to the local papers were free as it was a slow news day).
Old May 17th, 2015, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am always puzzled when I run across this. Do the vows wear thin if not renewed?
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:21 AM

Some non-Catholic Anglophone clergy/ministers in Spain (usually called chaplains) may agree to do a ceremony (non-legal, symbolic renewal of vows) but most would decline on account of being too busy and time consuming, as they cover a wide area with scattered congregations. They may agree to do a short ceremony in their church or chapel, perhaps at the end of the Sunday service. You need to contact them well in advance and ask.
http://www.st-georges-church.com/serving/marriages

Catholic priests in Spain don't really understand the rationale for vow renewal so are unlikely to be helpful. The exception may be those ministering at an English-speaking congregation, such as https://www.facebook.com/catholicmas...ona?fref=photo
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:26 AM

There are several companies that specialize in "weddings" in Spain, but, as you've discovered, they can be expensive.

For renewing our wedding vows, I would look for a retired priest, more then likely a retired Jesuit who speaks English. Most do not accept payment, but will accept a donation to a charity (www.jesuits.org).

I doubt seriously that you would be able to find a retired Jesuit in Barcelona or on Majorca. The only ones I know live in Pamplona. Javier (Navarra) is the birthplace of Francis Xavier, one of the founders of the Jesuit Society.
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:48 AM

If worse comes to worse, have some overweight guy in a Speedo read whatever you prepared and give money to his favorite pub.
Old May 18th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Sorry, sometimes I let my romantic side get the best of me.
Old May 18th, 2015, 03:39 PM

I like the Speedo idea. It would be a perfect fit for the beach at the W in Barcelona.
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:27 PM

Wearing Speedos is against the advice on what to wear in Europe, or so I thought.
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:42 PM

Renewing vows isn't a civil thing. I don't even think it's a "religious" thing.

Pay for my plane ticket, hotel, and meals and I will officiate the ceremony for you.
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Wearing Speedos is against the advice on what to wear in Europe, or so I thought."

Mandatory in France.

Can we please call them "Budgie Smugglers" to avoid the brand name?