Wedding in Varenna & Honeymoon Itinerary

Feb 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Wedding in Varenna & Honeymoon Itinerary

The Wedding:
My fiance and I are planning to get married in Varenna, Lake Como at Villa Cipressi in May 2008. I am wondering if anyone has had a civil wedding and reception there and can tell us how they liked it and if there is anything we should know beforehand.

The Honeymoon:
We plan to spend a week in Varenna (mostly before the wedding to relax and prepare)and then travel throughout Italy for the next 3 weeks. I have been to Italy 3 times and love it, but my fiance has never been. I want to show him some of the places I love, but I don't want to make the mistake of turning our honeymoon into a guided tour of my previous travel itineries from before I met him. I want us to experience new things together, while showing him some of the places that made me fall in love with Italy.

The loose plan right now is:
Varenna (1 week with wedding)
Venice
Florence
Cinque Terre
Orvieto
Rome
Sorrento or surrounding area (1 week)

The problem is that I have been to all of these places, although the last time I was in Sorrento was 15 years ago so it doesn't count. We are both pretty slow travelers, so this itinerary is way too packed for us (at least the middle part of it), but I am having a hard time being an objective planner with this one.

We both love nature, the sea, hiking, walking around/exploring, fine dining and wine. So, I thought maybe we could visit the Piedmont region or Bologna region for the food and wine or the Dolimites for the hiking. Also the island of Ischia appeals to me for the greenery and thermal springs.

Any suggestions on great places in these regions? Or how to alter my itinerary to include these places and still have time to relax and enjoy our honeymoon.

~ Karin

Feb 16th, 2007, 11:28 PM

I know the hotel and the lake but have no experience of civil ceremonies to share - but congratualtions and I am sure it will go very smoothly.

Your itinerary sounds way busy given the parameters you discuss - better to slow down, visit fewer places in more depth. Your later paragraph introduces a different aspect and (to me) sounds more relaxed - stay in the Northern region visiting Piedmont (I am biased - I live here) for the great food and wine, rolling vineyard strewn hills and alpine backdrops, then East to the magnificent Dolomites and some outstanding walking opportunities. Finish in Venice with all those romantic views and experiences. Relax, savour, save the rest for the anniversary trips.
Feb 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Phil!
Do you have any specific recommendations for the Piedmont region? I am very interested in Piedmont, but don't know a lot about it.
~Karin
Feb 19th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Piedmont is the second largest region in Italy. It is framed by Switzerland, France, and the regions of Liguria, Lombardia, and Emilia Romagna. It is the second largest wine producing region in Italy, with its premiere wines counting amoung the best in the world: Barolo, Barbaresco, and Barbera DOC leading the list, closely followed by Dolcetto, Grignolino, Roero, and Ruche on the red side. The region is also well known for its sparkling and sweet wines, among them Moscato and Brachetto d'Acqui DOCG, as well as passito versions of both. Cortese and Roero Arneis round out the white wine selection.

Piedmont is considered the predominant food region of the country. White truffles have their home here, and are celebrated with an international festival in Alba every year. Piedmont, the city of Bra specifically, is home to the international Slow Food movement, and the University of Gastronomical Science has one of its two campuses here (the other is in Emilia).

The terrain is marked by endless vineyards, soft and hilly in nature, with the Alps stretched out into the distance. It is awe inspiring, with tiny ancient villages dotting the hilltops. Piedmont is very lightly touristed, and the back roads are a joy for hikers and bikers.

The two predominant wine sub regions are the Monferrato Alto and the Langhe. Langhe is anchored by Alba and Bra, and is the region of Nebbiolo (from which Barbaresco and Barolo are produced). Barbera is produced in both regions,and personal preference determines everything, but my money is always on Barbera d'Asti, which is a product of the Monferrato. The Monferrato, even more undiscovered than the Langhe, is pure, untainted Italy at its finest -- with culture, history, food, wine, nature, but without the hype.

In addition to wine, the regions produce a vast amount of hazelnuts, walnuts, cherries, peaches, apricots, and kiwi.

The Monferrato has the added advantage of being about an hour from the city of Genoa and all the possibilities offered by the Ligurian coast.

Phew!! I hope that helps!!
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:14 AM

Hi Karin, I missed your reply but see that bellacqui has outlined our magnificent region. We make wine in the monferrato and love the rolling hills and endless views.

I would also suggest you visit Turin (Torino) which is another hidden "gem" of the Piedmont, it is a historic masterpeice both in term of architecture and culture. Then of course Piedmont also has it's percentage of the Italian lakes, and a trip west from your wedding location will bring you to Lakes Maggiore and Orta both beautiful and different to each other.

Need more - just ask....
Feb 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the information bellacqui and phil!