For weight-watchers going to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are active while visiting Paris, and dine according to local customs, you shouldn't have to worry about gaining weight on your vacation. According to this news article, it is far more likely you will gain while dining in the good 'ole USA.
http://www.news4jax.com/health/2427861/detail.html
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:54 AM

You're right. In fact, even though I work out here every day and eat really healthy, I usually lose weight in Europe. I think it is a combination of more continuous all day walking and some (but certainly not all) smaller portion sizes. Just another reason to visit Europe more often!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:24 AM

RachelG: You are so right. We do just what you do, eat healthy and exercise/work out every day, kicking it up a notch several months before a trip.

Once in Europe, we indulge more than we would at home but we never gain weight, even during a month-long trip.

I, too, think it has to do with all-day walking, climbing stairs, etc., smaller portion sizes and also the fact that the adrenalin rush of being on vacation in Europe must quicken our metabolisms!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Hi
me too, I watch my weight 50.5 weeks out of the year, but hardly at all while on vacation, when I'm suddenly often eating 3 full meals a day. I walk at home, but not like when I'm on vacation--that must be it.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 10:36 AM

Interesting article Travelnut. I lost 10 pounds in 4 months in Europe without even trying (I actually had no idea it was happening). Not only are the portions a bit smaller, but I didn't see a lot of "crap". Salads are given with oil and vinegar, not ranch dressings. You can have mashed potatoes, but I didn't see it topped with 3 kinds of cheeses etc. I think those little things make a diffence, as well as the walking.

I was so stunned to come back home and realize I lost the weight that I quickly adopted the small changes. I quit the gym and just went walking/jogging everyday. I hadn't had soda in months, so I dropped that too. Oil and vinegar for my salad dressing. And of course, portion control.

It's amazing the difference...3.5 months after I've come back, another 12 pounds. I haven't been this skinny since high school! I'm actually trying to eat a bit more for fear that more weight will come off.

Now, on the other hand, a few years ago, my cousin went to Paris on an exchange program for 3 months. She ate what they offered, but ate A LOT of it. (I don't think Parisians eat 3 crepes a day). She gained 15 pounds.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 11:40 AM

I'm in agreement, too. Despite watching it and exercising at home, I lost weight much easier in Italy recently...3 pounds in 10 days.

I'm sure it was not having access to snack on things during the day, being quite busy, and all that walking, plus the 70 steps to our apartment a few times per day.

I honestly thought after some of the indulgences on our trip that I would come home and be a couple pounds up on the scale. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I was down!

Maybe I should move to Italy....ha!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I looks like going to Paris to eat for a month is as good as or maybe better than Subway! I think I will have to try it and then let you all know.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Hey, just think of it as going to a "spa" but you get to eat real food and see wonderful sights!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:24 PM

I agree with everyone about the tendency
to lose weight while in Europe. I walk everywhere, and even if I take the metro, I end up having to climb the stairs. 3 years ago, I had a stomach virus while in Eastern Europe. Between being sick & walking everywhere, I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks! Tip: wear heels some of the time, especially during stair climbing, and you'll come back with killer thighs! So, eat those croissants & just walk them off while looking at your beautiful surroundings!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:40 PM

I agree--last time I went to paris I actually WAS on WW and was worried that I would not be able to stay within my "points." so I threw caution to the wind and lived a normal life, and ended up losing weight! All that walking will do ya good.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 02:49 PM

I hope you all appreciate how fortunate you are. I, for one, do NOT lose weight in Europe, despite walking all day etc. I consider myself lucky if I only gain 2 lbs, which is hell to lose once I get home. (I'm a small person, so 2 lbs means my pants are a bit tighter than I'd like!)
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:24 AM
ira

Lost 5 pounds in one week in Paris. Gained 5 pounds in one week in Vienna.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:34 AM

My sister did the backpacking thing around Europe and the UK a few years ago. It was summertime, and she ended up losing about 25 lbs in 5 months. She said it was just too hot to eat, so she stuck to a lot of fresh fruits and vegs instead of heavy cooked meals.

Like crazymina, she didn't realize it at first, but was thrilled when she found out she was losing weight.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:37 AM

(She backpacked from May-Sept)
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Brimham, I did mine from Jan - May, and while I had lots of sunshine, it was pretty cold. To keep warm, I ate and drank a LOT...so you don't even have to eat totally healthy to lose weight in Europe!

(I think it has something to do with schlepping those bloody backpacks!)
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:55 AM

(running out the door to buy a humongous backpack, which I will now faithfully take with me everywhere - playgroups, business meetings, grocery shopping... Here's hopin'!)
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Spent 3 weeks in France (1 week in Paris), ate great meals & drank great wine, yet lost 7 pounds. As others have noted -- lots of walking, lots of stairs.