Weather/What to Wear!

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather/What to Wear!

hello all. I'm hoping either someone who just returned from Ireland or someone who has been there during this time of year can tell me what the weather is like. I see various reports on weather.com, but I know it can FEEL very different than predicted.

I will be going to Kerry, Dublin, Donegal & Shannon. I'm wondering if it will feel cold & damp, or more humid with rain. Want to figure out what to pack. More sweaters & sweatsgirts or more lighter long-sleeved apparel? I leave tomorrow!

help & thanks!!

~shawniejo
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:56 AM

I'm here - it's cold!! There's been frost on the ground every day for the last week or so. There has been snow in the North & West of the country. The weather in Dublin, despite the cold, has been beautiful - very sunny and no rain. So it's cold and dry at the moment! It's varied between -1 or -2 degrees at night, to probably about 8 or 9 degrees during the day. HOWEVER - this is Ireland - next week it could be 14 degrees and humid, or it could be lashing rain!! Check out http://www.meteireann.ie for a good forecast.

I would advise jumpers for this time of year with maybe one or two lighter long-sleeved tops in case it gets a bit warmer!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:45 AM

Cailin, your degrees are in celsious, correct? so 1 degree is close to 34 degrees fahrenheit...

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

yes, my degrees are in celsius - you will find that the metric system is used in Europe
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Cailin,

Thank you VERY much for your quick & informative reply!

I am having the worst time packing clothing because I keep feeling for some reason it will be warmer there. But after reading your post, I'm thinking my fleece pullovers with t-shirts underneath are a good way to go. I also have a great Columbia jacket with a removeable fleece lining & hood that is great. Sound good, you think?

Thanks again!

~Shawniejo
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:06 AM

fleece pullovers sound good, as does your jacket!! It's unlikely to get too much warmer over the next couple of weeks so I'm sure they'll be needed!! Enjoy your stay
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

You've really helped me a lot, Cailin. THANK YOU!!

Shawniejo
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:36 AM

an update...today it's dark, the skies are grey, it was very windy overnight, and now it's raining (although it's not too heavy). It's a bit warmer than it has been for the last week or so...but it's still quite cold!!
don't forget your umbrella!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:54 AM

Just back yesteday PM on AerLingus 119 (SNN-BWI): That Colombia jacket sounds good. I wore a ligtweight Polo Parka continuously all the time we were there.

It didn't rain a drop although it did snow lightly Thurs nite (26 Feb). There was quite a bit of hoarfrost Fri & Sat AM (with a North wind). General Rain was moving in Tue PM (2 Mar).

It's cold, but not by my standards (zero Celsius (32F) is OK in the sun. There was a cold breeze (had to put up the hood of my Parka) on the coast like Lahinch & the Cliffs of Moher. Lots of Pubs have fireplaces - wife thought that was really charming.

Bring a pair of flannel PJ's.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:42 AM

Dear Nedsireland:

Welcome home safe and sound. I'll be waiting for a full trip report!

Barbara
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:40 AM

and to update you on today....it's sunny and quite warm for this time of year (it's about 10 degrees)!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:24 AM

what about weather in May?? Is it much warmer then? Rainy? We will be travelling from Dublin in the mid region, south, then along the west coast to Connemara, then back across to Dublin. I am having the same dilemma...what to pack...Thank you
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM

LadyJane,
Our last two trips to Ireland were in mid-May 2002 and 2003. Both times it was very rainy, uncharacteristically rainy according to the Irish people. We're going again this year in early May and are hoping for much better weather. The temperature was fine, low to mid 50's. I pack clothes that I can layer, cotton knits mainly. A long sleeve knit shirt, then a cotton pullover if needed. For rain I add a nylon windbreaker with a hood and have always been warm enough. An umbrella seems to just get in my way. A head covering comes in handy on windy days, a knit scarf or knit hat. I don't take jeans just because of their weight and bulk. Knits roll and fold so much better for packing. Take lots of socks and at least two pair of good walking shoes. If you're planning on doing much country walking your feet will get wet and a dry pair of shoes and socks at the end of the day can feel luxurious! I've found that a rubber sole grips best on wet rocks. But beware of knobby athletic shoe treads that can slip very easily. Enjoy your trip!
Martha
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:02 AM

What kind of weather can you expect in Mid-July? Referring to the Shannon, Dublin Killarney loop.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:56 AM

cailin - Thanks for all your advice. We will be in your lovely country end April, but then we will be heading into N. Ireland so I was wondering if it was much different there.(weather-wise, of course!)
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:00 AM

the weather in Northern Ireland is usually very similar to the Republic.
With regard to May, the weather is usually quite nice - relatively warm (for Ireland!!) - probably between 14-17 degrees (celsuis). Like anywhere though, this may not be the case - it could be warmer or cooler, or it could rain every day!! Nothing is guaranteed - especially when it comes to Irish weather!! Best thing is to bring an umbrella and layer your clothes!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 03:10 AM

Dear Martha.
Thank you for your good advice. Good idea about the extra socks and shoes. Nothing worse than soggy wet feet especially after you have been on them all day. Thanks. Got my suit cases last night borrowed from my mom....starting to pack! WOO HOO!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 11:33 AM

How warm does it get in May? Should I take shorts?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:23 PM

No, I doubt it will be warm enough for shorts. But we did have one day last year when I wished for a short sleeved shirt.
Martha
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Okay, thanks Martha...so I'll pack a pair of shorts then....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -