Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weather/road conditions for driving late Feb/early Mar Venice to Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next year we're going to spend 6 weeks in Paris and then drive to Venice (late February) and then we're wondering about the next destination (and have to book our return flights soon).

We have always wanted to visit Budapest and Prague and could drive from Venice but need to know more about the driving conditions - we leave Toronto for the winter and don't want to go looking for it! I realize it will be cold in the cities and that's OK but don't want a snow filled drive.

An alternative is to go south to Dubronik (drive? train?) and perhaps onto to Turkey for 12 days or so (fly?).

I haven't yet checked the logistics of a rental car over that many countries - that may be s show stopper although train/planes are open as options.

Any comments would be appreciated
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Fly from Paris to Venice--look at whichbudget.com

And, fly from Venice to Prague. Or, train to Budapest and then to Prague.

Dropping a car in the different country will cost you a ton.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

hi bob - we really want to drive from Paris to Venice (revisit favourite destinations from old trips) - considering the lease/buy option as well. But I think we'll end up where you are for the Venice and onwards portion.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

A few years ago, we were in Paris for the Rugby World Cup. Between games we flew to Venice (due to time constraints) and then drove from Venice via Trieste and Slovakia to Split in Croatia. We continued our trip to Dubrovnik on the ferry system with stops in Hvar and other islands enroute to Dubrovnik. Did the ferry because the roads between Split and Dubrovnik at the time were massively congested due to construction and holiday traffic. I would bet that construction has now been completed.

The road system in Croatia is amazing, at least north of Split. Miles and miles and miles of beautiful new highway with very few cars on the road. The gas stations along the way were all clean and had the basics. However, at that time there were almost no lodging choices along the highway and distances are vast. Someone told me (and I have not verified this) that the Croatian government gave the road constructions contract to an American company. Roads were impressive -- among the best in the world. Also, we saw no police anywhere along the way. We were doing 90 mph the entire way and other cars were zooming by us.

We loved Croatia. The people are lovely and many places take dollars so you can avoid exchanging money.

boudecca
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM

My first visit to Prague was in early March--it was quite wintry there. Temps in the 20s-30s F, snow on the ground, some snow flurries each day. Every year is different of course, but I wouldn't count on having to drive.
But, it's a beautiful city to visit in any weather.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Well, I think we have decided on Turkey - have to call the airline this weekend to book return flight...that might make the decision for us. Thanks for all the comments
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM

loved Turkey too!
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM

Elizabeth S: Congratulations on the travel plans.

If I lived someplace as climatically temperate as TO, rather than ghastly snow-laden Ottawa, I'd probably stay put for the winter.

But Europe is worthwhile in any season -- and for any reason.

I have been amazed at how cheap major-carrier airfares can be between the destinations you are targeting. This may be a winter phenomenon.

I have seldom found really cheap flights out of Paris, but I have seen Lyon-Venice for 15 Euros + tax, on Air France. Yes, on a regularly scheduled flight, on a national airline.

The best winter deals I have seen were on Air France and on Czech Airlines. Malev (Hungary) is a distant third. Austrian Airlines sometimes has good prices.

Note also that in winter, Trenitalia and the Austrian rail system usually have some amazing bargains. The 8 hour train trip from Venice to Vienna is regularly discounted to 29 E. That is a great train, BTW, and was not at all full when we twice took it.

Vienna to Budapest was 19E in March 2010. Anyway, it's all cheaper than the cheapest, crummiest Cdn bus.

Nothing would induce me to drive those routes when trains and planes are available -- probably for less than you wd pay for rental, gas and city-parking.

Taking a rental car behind the Iron Curtain (no longer a political reality but still a car-rental reality) seems to be very problematic, from what I can determine on the main car-rental sites.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM

renting a car behind the iron curtain is not a problem, the only problem is a drop off in another country.
Also please consider that Turkey is quite cold in February.