Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Weather in Turkey March-April (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-in-turkey-march-april-985400/)

robrick Jul 17th, 2013 05:03 AM

Weather in Turkey March-April

Hello,
We are planning a trip/tour to Turkey in late March, early April 2014 and were wondering what the weather is usually like. I know it varies around the country, but looking at Istanbul, Ankara, Cappadocia, Konya, Antalya, Izmir & Canakkale. Is this a good time to travel in Turkey, or too wet?

Thanks
Rob

otherchelebi Jul 17th, 2013 11:27 AM

Most precipitation will be Spring showers.

This is an excellent time for sightseeing. I

It is not yet the start of the beach season with sea temperatures reaching only 18-19 C in the South for the adventurous.

Istanbul will have fabulous tulips everywhere.

Cappadocia will be quite cold, especially at night.

Unless you are deeply interested in Roumi or the neolithic excavations of Alacahoyuk, or if you are not continuing from Anamur and Ermenek towards Cappadocia there is not much reason to go to Konya, where the weather may be rather miserable.

Ankara attracts due to the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations and possibly Ataturk's mausoleum. Otherwise, it is an unattractive city with very heavy traffic.

The museum mentioned is almost a requirement if you are planning to visit the Hittite cities, Alacahoyuk and Hattusas.

If you are driving the whole trip, I recommend that you get pillows that suit you at the first opportunity (Istikbal chain has stores almost everywhere. Yatas and Idas, Ozdilek are also popular)
We are picky about our pillows and need them light and soft (which you cannot get at most hotels) even if they are not goose down.

Take light rainproof hoodies with removable warmer lining if possible, and comfortable, non-slip water proof walking shoes which can be used in muddy terrain.

el13207 Jul 17th, 2013 08:19 PM

We were in Seljuk, Cappadocia and Istanbul during this same time period- early April- this year and the weather was all over the map! Some days were warm and sunny, some were overcast and rainy- none were horribly cold. Take layers and rain jackets and you should be fine. And keep an eye on the weather reports: because I checked while we were in Istanbul we managed to schedule our Bosphorus tour on the one warm and sunny day out of 5 that we were there, and do our indoor touring on the rainier days. You will have a wonderful time!

czarria60 Jul 24th, 2013 06:10 PM

Rob, any chance you are on a Gate1 Affordable Turkey tour! We just booked that trip with my cousin & her husband and were trying to figure out how to "meet up" with our fellow travelers online prior to the trip. Just curious. Thanks to otherchelebi and el13207 for their responses above, as this is helpful info. :)

czarria60 Jul 24th, 2013 06:11 PM

Ps-sorry, that should be a "?" At the end of my 1st sentence above, not a "!" Need a new keyboard... :)

robrick Jul 25th, 2013 06:54 AM

We were going to book with them, but changed tour companies. Decided on Trafalgar.

czarria60 Aug 1st, 2013 06:08 PM

Rob: I'd be interested in your reasons for choosing Trafalgar over Gate 1? If not, no worries. The tour we've booked is our first with G1, actually, it's our 1st group tour. Done lots of cruises and individual travel to South America, so not new to travel. But have found it beneficial to learn what we can from fellow travelers, especially those who have been to the places we are going. Hoping to glean more pearls of wisdom from others on here regarding visiting Turkey and/or traveling with G1. Thanks!