Weather in Spain or Italy in Jan or Feb

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea at all just what the typical weather is in Spain or Italy in January or February. I live in the northern part of the US, and it typical sucks here that time of year. (Actually, I think it sucks here 24/7! It's cloudy, on an annual average, 51% of the time in my zip code! In downtown Seattle, it's less! Fer cripes sake! But I digress.)

Usually if I want to escape I go south, of course. But I also have a desire to spend 2-4 weeks touring Spain and Italy, concentrating on art, history, etc. (what I construe as mostly indoor stuff), and traveling mostly if not exclusively by train, so driving weather is irrelevant. What should I expect? Is it at all reasonable to consider those countries for those reasons, those months?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

You can check www.weather.com or www.wunderground.com for historical averages in the particular places you intend to go.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM

Last year we did Italy/Paris in late January, early February. Started in Rome, total 2 weeks. There were only about 3 days when the weather drove us inside.

Rome: Pleasant cold. A little rain. Some days we could even sit at sidewalk cafes.

Florence: Bitterly cold. 2-scarf weather. Couldn't be outside much.

Venice: About like Rome (except the day it snowed!). The stones in the Doge Palace were so cold they made my feet hurt, though.

I would imagine Spain would be about like Rome (maybe warmer).
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM

I spent January 2000 in Madrid, with weekend trips to Granada, Seville, and finally Barcelona. It wasn't bad at all, but then we'd had a couple of really nasty Januaries in Spokane, so almost anything would have been an improvement. I remember it as being fairly cool in Madrid, but quite a lot warmer in Seville and Granada.

My last day in Madrid was a beautiful sunny Sunday, and all of Madrid was in Retiro park. Lovely day!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM

Since you may be visiting old stone buildings and churches, keep in mind that it can seem as cold inside as out--no central heating in these old structures. But that's why both these countries have the most delightfully thick and delicious hot chocolate.

I love traveling in Italy and Spain at the time of year--lower prices and fewer tourists.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM

I thought it was even <i>colder</i> inside those stone structures!

The only other caution I would give is that you probably have to be more flexible with your day-to-day plans than you would in fine weather.

For instance, the January day we went to the colosseum/forum was unbearably windy. We had to abandon that day's schedule. If we'd booked a guide for that, it would have really messed up our plans.

Probably leave most specific plans until you're close enough that you can check that day's weather.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM

Italy and Spain are temperate - not sub tropical - don;t think FL.

If you're in the northern areas or the mountains you will have winterish weather in Jan/Feb - although rain is more likely than snow except at altitudes. In southern areas you will get weather more like the Carolinas in winter. Warmer but nothing like beach weather.

But- you will have the benefit of everything being much less crowded.