Weather in Prague, Budapest, and Vienna

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Weather in Prague, Budapest, and Vienna

My husband and I are taking a Globus Tour to Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, and Munich, for ten days in the middle of March. Can someone tell me if we need to take thermal underwear? We live in sunny California, USA, and want to dress appropriately. Also, this tour is with Globus, "Imperial Splendors", has anyone taken this or any similar tour? Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I would say that you should take it. If you're from a warm climate, even if it's not that cold to we who come from colder climates (I'm from NY), it may seem cold to you. Also, March is changeable. It may be 65 degrees or 35.
A long sleeved silk undershirt and leggings are minimal when it comes to taking up room in your luggage.

NEver been on a Globus tour or any group tour. You will probably spend a lot of time in a warm bus. but you will have to go out (and you would want to) - to explore these beautiful cities on foot.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM

My husband and I spent two weeks in Budapest in march two years ago. It was freezing! It snowed while we were there and their was snow on the grounds even in Budapest (lots up in the Buda hills). We layered, used scarves, gloves, hats, etc. At the very end of the trip we had two more spring like days - temps in the low 50s.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM

We were in Prague, Budapest, Munich and Vienna (plus Copenhagen, Aarhus and Krakow) last May and regretted not having warmer clothes. It rained part of the time in Prague, Budapest and Vienna, though I think the only time we were really uncomfortable was one day in Budapest.

I the last part of May, in Vienna, Placido Domingo was to conduct a concert which had to be cancelled because of heavy rain.

I'd buy some cuddle duds or some of that silk long underwear. They weigh only ounces, and you might very well need them. I'd also get a plastic raincoat or poncho and be sure to have an umbrella.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Hi

When it comes to weather you should check out weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM

gardkarlsen thank you for the link to the weather site it will be very helpful for our 7 week trip to California, Canada & Europe. leaving in just less than 8 weeks time. I have read your trip reports also previously and very much enjoyed them and the details and content. thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:58 PM

I've been in Vienna in early to mid March every year for the past seven years and will be there again next month (yay). Usually it's pretty chilly to downright cold (well below freezing), sometimes with not insignificant snowfall--last year we did a side trip to Krakow and it was in the low 20s (F) and snowed every day.
So far this winter, things have seemed milder than usual. Which makes me think we'll get hit with a cold, snowy spell in March (just to even things out).
Layers are always best, but make sure they're layers you can take on and off easily.
Take your thermals. If you end up not needing them, they can double as an extra pair of pjs.
And bring (or wear) comfortable, low heeled waterproof boots. They come in very handy for walking through slushy puddles.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM

There is no way anybody can answer your question. Hope for the best, expect the worst. And then, anything can be bought for money. In the last 5 decades I've seen -25C and less and +20C on the same day in February. Why would you expect anybody (except god ;-) )to be able to give a correct answer?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you that responded to my question regarding weather. I am leaving in less than one week and it looks like it is not going to be too cold. We are taking our thermal underwear just in case. I will let you know upon our return.