Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Weather in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-in-paris-86914/)

Barbara Sep 19th, 2000 09:27 AM

Weather in Paris?

I am getting ready to book a trip to Paris in mid-March. From reading this forum and a couple of websites, it looks to me like the weather is pretty cool. I am NOT a cool weather person. It looks like the weather is considerably warmer in Sept. and Oct. I could always change my plans to go in the fall. For those of you with experience---is there such a difference in temperature between March and October? Thanks for any help.

love2trvl Sep 19th, 2000 09:58 AM

Hi Barbara: <BR>I was in Paris from 3/22-30/00. I wore a lightweight turtleneck, a sweater, and leather blazer the whole time. I had my trenchcoat with the liner in with me at all times. It never rained but look threatening most of the time. It was never foggy or too cloudy to enjoy the view. I had gloves and umbrella with me but never needed them. I found the sites uncrowded and the cafes had seats. People sit outside even in March. The price was right, the airplane was not full and the hotel was not overly crowded.It was a wonderful trip. Book it and enjoy yourself!!

elaine Sep 19th, 2000 11:50 AM

You can check these <BR>www.wunderground.com When you access a forecast for a city, at the bottom of the "current conditions" table, you'll see a box for "Historical Conditions". Not all cities have data; it seems to be available for larger cities in the country, but it's great for getting a general idea of temps/conditions during the time you'll be there. <BR>www.washingtonpost.com also has historical weather data <BR> <BR>Paris has very fickle weather. On one of my trips I was there over what in the US was Memorial Day weekend (late May) and we had temps only in the 50sF and drizzle every day. I have experienced that exact same weather in Dec as well. <BR> <BR>Last year I was there during the first week in Oct and it was delightful. Drizzle only one day. Temps were cool in the morning and evening (50sF) but during the day it was definitely upper 60s even to 70. <BR>Any month in Paris is pretty wonderful, I think. Gloves, an umbrella, and removable layers underneath a jacket, rain coat or poncho will take good care of you.

Christina Sep 19th, 2000 02:25 PM

Paris is fairly similar in temps to the mid-east coast US, which means that ON AVERAGE, temps in March are about 10-15 degrees cooler than in Sept, and a little cooler than October. From what you said, you should probably go in Sept.

Janet Sep 19th, 2000 02:57 PM

We went to Paris/France one year in March and it is definitely chilly/cold. It is glove and heavy jacket weather. I love it cool and I was happy, my husband does not and thought it was cold. <BR> <BR>I was in Paris for a week last October and it was PERFECT. I went the last week in Oct so the time had not changed (it changed the day I left). So it was dark at 7:30am but light until 7-7:30pm which was great for me since I was traveling by myself. I brought one pair of pants with 2 short sleeved tops, a jumper with 2 long sleeved tops and a sweater. It was a week of glorious sunshine. So depending on what I was doing that day, was what I wore. I never really felt like I needed the sweater but the Parisians were certainly bundled up. <BR> <BR>Also the trees,gardens, etc were all still lovely in Oct versus fairly bleak and bare in March. <BR> <BR>Enjoy.

Donna Sep 19th, 2000 08:34 PM

I think for the most pleasant weather (and the flowers in bloom all over), the best months are September and June. If you have a choice, best bet is to go when the weather is most pleasant for being out and about. The weather in Paris is so variable, though, you just never know.

Steve Sep 21st, 2000 04:06 AM

I went to Paris last October 1-9. It was on the cool/fall side but it was perfect in my opinion. None of the museums were "hot" or stuffy, no lines anywhere and it was generally easy to get around everywhere. Lots of bright sunshine, some afternoons it showered. But you know what, I'd go back the same week in a second! <BR> <BR>Bring a light jacket or maybe one with a fleece like lining and you should be fine. <BR> <BR>Learn some basic French phrases and they'll LOVE you for it. <BR> <BR>And no, the Parisians DO NOT hate Americans!! <BR> <BR>Bon voyage!!!

bc Sep 21st, 2000 07:23 AM

Thanks to you all for your help---with this info. I have decided to wait until late Sept., early Oct.

deena Sep 21st, 2000 04:37 PM

I just returned from Paris last week. The day we arrived (Sept. 6) it was cool and rainy, however the rest of the next week was perfect--cool mornings and warm afternoons--some cloudiness which gave way to sunshine. The last 2 days were hot and sunny. I brought sweater sets which were great. <BR>