Weather in October/November

Jul 1st, 2001, 01:46 PM
Jennifer

Weather in October/November

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy and we thought we would try going at the end of October/beginning of November. What will the weather be like that time of year? Should we pack for rain? We plan to spend time in Rome, Florence and Venice (possibly Lake Como, as well).

Jul 1st, 2001, 02:39 PM
cheri

Hi Jennifer,

I was in Italy last November. I pretty much stayed in Tuscany, but did go down to Rome for a couple of days. The weather was nice in Rome. It was actually pretty warm - around the 70's or so. As far as Florence, it was pretty nice during the day (60's), and then would get really cool at night. We did encounter rain in Siena. I do not know what the weather is like in Venice at that time, and I do think it can be pretty cold in the lake region. I think you are picking a great time of year, because there are not near as many tourists there as in the summer time.

Have fun!!

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:39 PM
JxF

In both Florence & Venice (probably Lake Como), yes, a high degree of likelihood that you'll see rain in late Oct/early Nov.

Rome is further south --- but you're also moving into rainy season.

There is the advantage of fewer tourists than during the June thru Sept months. So, I wouldn't let the prospect of some wet weather dampen your spirits.

You do need to be aware that you may encounter 'high water' (alta acqua) in Venice. I was in Venice near end of Oct 2000 (Oct 24-26) and weather was cool & cloudy. However several days later (I'd already left!), they had one of these high tides. However Venetians are quite adept at dealing with these situations; the walkways go up & I think many hotels provide boots for their guests.

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:49 PM
Gladys Fontanez

Hi Jennifer:
We were in Italy last year from middle of October and returned Nov. 1. We started our trip in Venice, and traveled to Florence and Siena, ending in Rome. We planned our trip so that we could travel South staying ahead of the cooler weather. The weather was good. As the previous poster noted, Venice was cool at night and breezy. Florence and Rome were mild (70's). We saw very little rain. As a matter of fact, it rained only one night in Rome. It's a wonderful time of year to visit Italy. Have a great trip. Gladys

Jul 1st, 2001, 05:01 PM
Walter

I had very nice weather in the 1st half of Nov99 in Rome & Naples. You'll also notice that the hotels usually go into their off-season rates on Nov 1. It might also be worth checking the airlines, *perhaps* they also follow suit? A slight change in plans might save you some money. HTH Regards, Walter