Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Venice to Paris. Where to get Off?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm planning for Italy vacation this May 2010 and I want to go to Paris from Venice. I was looking at Trenitalia and it was asking where my destination is. Where do I get off to be in the center of Paris? Is is better to fly With EasyJet or overnight train? Is there a big price difference? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM

Thats a very long train journey. I've never taken the train from Venice to Paris and I doubt I could spend so long on a train. Check train schedules/fares on www.bahn.de. I would consider flying, given the distance between the two cities. However, remember, Paris has 3 airports, CDG, Orly and Beauvais. Consider the total cost of the flight including luggage fees, taxes and airport transfers when working out what your airfare costs are. Do a search on www.kayak.com to check airfare prices.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 01:38 AM

HI SI - Easyjet currently have fares starting at €32 (- plus charges) for some dates in May.

Even with add-ons this can be a big saving on the rail fare - and save a day travelling.

Steve
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 02:21 AM

Check out the sleeper train service - http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#Venice

You get off the train at it's final stop - Gare de Bercy - which is it's only stop in Paris
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 03:05 AM

We took the train from Venice to Paris several years ago and really enjoyed it. True, we left Venice at 5 AM. We changed trains in Milan. The train from Milan to Paris went through the Alps and was breathtaking! We were in Paris by 4 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM

The Artesia sleeper train 'Stendhal' leaves Venice (Santa Lucia station in central Venice) at 19:57 daily, arriving Paris Bercy in central Paris at 08:19 next morning.

Fares start at just 35 euros with couchette one-way, more if you want a 2-bed sleeper. You can book online a www.trenitalia.com IF you can persuade it to accept your credit card (look for smart price fares when prompte to select a fare).

This will feel like a very quick trip, in complete contrast to what Justshootme says - departure from central Venice, right on the banks of the Grand Canal walking distance from the Rialto Bridge & St Mark's Square, an evening chatting in the restaurant car, a night alseep in your berth, and you're there, right in central Paris! No airports, no flights, far better for the environment...

Flying will take longer (in effect), as it means up to 5 boring daytime hours of waiting in airport security queues and taking expensive airport taxis or bus links to and from remote airports. The sleeper train is not only an experience in itself, it saves a hotel bill too.