Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Weather in London in May.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-in-london-in-may-594555/)

milliondollarbbw Feb 26th, 2006 04:45 PM

Weather in London in May....

My friend from London says that the weather will be very spring like, but can also rain in London.

I am considering taking some jeans and gymshoes for all the walking I will be doing. But also a skirt or two and nice blouses for the evening time.

I am worried that it may get slightly hot. Should I worry about that during the month of May?

P_M Feb 26th, 2006 04:49 PM

I've been to London in May a couple of times. I've seen warm weather there in May, but not hot. Check this website for averages:

www.weatherbase.com

milliondollarbbw Feb 26th, 2006 04:56 PM

Thank you! I will check it out!

nytraveler Feb 26th, 2006 05:43 PM

What do you mean by hot? By US standards London is very rarely hot - even in the summer - but can be very humid and sticky.

In May it is usually mild - and there is almost always the chance of rain (but there rain is generally very light, for parts of days only - often little more than a drizzle - they don;t get the torrential downpours with thunder/ lightening we get in the US in the summer).

Just be sure you have at lest 2 pairs of comfy walking shoes - in case one pair gets wet - and always carry a small umbie.

alanRow Feb 27th, 2006 03:28 AM

The odds are that it'll be mild with light showers BUT there is a chance of snow (honest), thunderstorms & a heatwave.

Basically UK weather is a matter of probablities (something to do with being an island bordering an ocean & a continent) and you can't say, like in some parts of the world "it's May, therefore the temperature is 15C & the humidity is 50%"

walkinaround Feb 27th, 2006 03:35 AM

may is a fine time to visit. it is very unlikely to be too hot (regardless of your tolerance for heat). it is also unlikely that you will return home with reports of "horrible weather" although you may encounter a shower or two.

Wayne Feb 27th, 2006 07:15 AM

Actually, London in May is my favorite time. By most U.S. standards, the weather will be mild -- probably between 60 degrees F and 70 degrees F at the high points. But as others mentioned, it can vary. I generally try to remember overshoes in case of rain, which will certainly occur if you are there for a few days. Umbrella is madatory, and a light raincoat might be useful only if you have room. Take clothing that you can wear in layers: a light layer first, then a light rain-repellent jacket over that. London will be great any time; enjoy it.

gawr0008 Feb 27th, 2006 08:07 AM

what about in June is it the same kind of weather in the UK?

walkinaround Feb 27th, 2006 08:21 AM

yes, june is similar to what was described for may...but even nicer. june is also right before the big summer tourist influx so it is ok. i always encourage visitors to come in april - early june and sept to oct.