Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   weather in January - France/Belgium/Neth (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-in-january-france-belgium-neth-787573/)

davidjac Jun 1st, 2009 10:10 AM

weather in January - France/Belgium/Neth

Whta would be the weather and driving conditions in northern France, Belgium, and Netherlands in January?

thnaks for the help

hetismij Jun 1st, 2009 10:23 AM

Well it could be dry, cold and sunny with below zero temperatures (my favourite winter weather), it could be snowy, though that is less likely, and most likely it will be grey wet and maybe misty.
We don't have a definite weather through the winter - it depends on the winter and how lucky or otherwise you are.
If it is snowy you can expect road delays for the first day of the snow, and maybe longer if it is really heavy. If it is cold the smaller roads may not have been treated and could be icy. But expect just wet, very short, dull days.

Kyliebaby3 Jun 1st, 2009 10:27 AM

I was in both France and Belgium last January, and it was definitely cold. Some days, it was cold and wet with a bit of snow, and others cold and dry. It hovered around 0 for most of the trip, but got particularly cold in Ghent when we were there. Someone told us it was the coldest day they'd had in 15 or 20 years. We didn't do any driving, however, so I can't comment on that. I agree that the days were short though, but it was a nice time to be there because it wasn't crowded at all. Enjoy!

ribeirasacra Jun 1st, 2009 10:28 AM

Minus 10 and Rijp, heerlijk!!!

Alec Jun 1st, 2009 10:28 AM

With only 6-7 daylight hours (if you are lucky).

hetismij Jun 1st, 2009 10:43 AM

ribeirasacra: Minus 10 and Rijp, heerlijk!!!

We can but hope :)
Right now though I am happy with blue skies and +25C :D

kismetchimera Jun 1st, 2009 10:46 AM

Usually I travel during the summer months..It is very hard to predict the weather anymore!!Is so changeable..

To give you an example: two years I was in Amsterdam the first two weeks of June..It was rainy, damp and cold..I had to buy a sweat jacket with the hood for my Grandaughter..Luckily it was on sale..

laurie_ann Jun 1st, 2009 11:34 AM

If you would like to find historical temperatures and precipitation try www.wunderground.com. It has a feature called "trip planner" where you put a location and a time frame and get analysis of the historical weather as well as day by day data for temperature, humidity, wind, precipitation. You can then look up another place you are more familiar with and compare, such as Boston or Atlanta to get a sense. For example, the analysis for Amsterdam for the month of January is :

"The Average High Temperature is 42 F with a historical range of 17 F to 55 F
The Average Low Temperature is 34 F with a historical range of 8 F to 53 F
There is a 0% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90°F / 32°C).
(0 days out of 181 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
There is a 0% chance of a Warm Day (temperature over 60°F / 16°C).
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0
There is a 33% chance of a Freezing Day (temperature below 32°F / 0°C).
(60 days out of 181 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 11

Cloud Cover:
Average Cloud Cover is partly cloudy
There is a 46% chance of a Cloudy Day.
(81 days out of 177 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 6

Wind:
The Average Wind is 13 mph with a historical range of 1 mph to 40 mph
There is a 56% chance of a Windy Day (average wind over 10 mph / 15km/h).
(101 days out of 181 in historical record)
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 12

Humidity:
The Average High Dew Point is 38 F with a historical range of 10 F to 54 F
The Average Low Dew Point is 31 F with a historical range of 5 F to 46 F
There is a 0% chance of a Humid Day (dew point over 65°F / 18°C).
Most consecutive days found in historic record: 0"

And then it goes to the more specific day by day information so you can see if it varies a lot from year to year.

ribeirasacra Jun 1st, 2009 02:27 PM

hetismij
and here in Galicia we have 29 plus, but we never get teh real crispy cold we had when we lived in the Netherlands.