Transportation for S. Lucia train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I leave for Venice in 1 week!! We arrive in Rome and are taking a train into Venice San Lucia train stop. We are staying at Savoia and Jolanda which is right on the grand canal near San Marco. My question is, what is the best way to travel from the train station to our hotel when we arrive? I have heard stories of people paying close to 70 Euros for transportation and want to avoid that. WE will have 2 small carry on roller-suitcases and 2 small backpacks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:11 AM

The vaporetto (water bus) stops right outside the train station. The San Zaccaria stop (no. 16) is near your hotel.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:14 AM
ira

Hi ciconrad

The no 1 and no 82 Vaporettos stop at the train station. Since you don't have much luggage, you shouldn't have a problem.

Vapretto schedules and routes are found at http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php.

For a map, click on "Venice Plan"
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:22 AM

Remind to buy your ticket before boarding , just as you would do in any public transport system in continental Europe.
Visitor passes are avilable.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:22 AM

Oh, when you come out of the station, the Grand Canal will be right in front of you. You want a number 1 or number 82 vaporetto that is travelling from the right towards the left. You will have to buy tickets and validate them in the machine at the vaporetto dock. If you are very fit, you could walk it, though it would be a pretty good hike with luggage--about a mile or so.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:52 AM

Also, be sure to contact your hotel for walking directions from the vaporetto stop to the hotel entrance. Specific directions like "turn left at the first bridge" are very helpful for first-time visitors.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:05 AM

It is easier to leave your bags in the left luggage at the station, then buy a 24-hour or longer ticket for the boats, and go to check in at your hotel. Go back to the station in the early evening when you've worked out the easiest route, it's cooler and the boats are quieter; then go back to your hotel with your luggage.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 06:11 AM

Hi

I agree with RufusTFirefly. Use the vaporetto. Just remember to buy the tickets (and punch them) before you go on board. I also walked from the train station to San Marco and that was a nice walk

My wife and I were in Venice just a month ago and I have posted a trip report and pictures on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 07:46 AM

IT's easy! Head left out of the station, purchase a vaporetto ticket (one way is 5 euro each, if you plan to walk the rest of the day thats' fine. The best deal for us was the 24 hour 10,50 euro and the ability to hop on and off whenever we wanted). The #82 "fast" boat is fine vs. the #1 stop at every place boat. A quick boat ride is a nice way to cool off also when you've been out in the heat. YOu should get to your stop in about 25 minutes. There are people on there with luggage. You'll be fine, enjoy and have a blast!