Search

Weather in Italy??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in Italy??

If traveling to Italy (Umbria area & Rome) what, in general, would give better, more predictable weather...first 2 wks of May OR last 2 wks of Oct??
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM

we were in rome in november 2 years ago, and it was gorgeous (t- shirts/light sweathers during the day, light jacket at night)- i think the weather in october should be wonderful
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've made many trips to Italy in the last two weeks of October, and we've had great weather. Umbria was especially nice at that time. Where are you going?
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
TAW
Original Poster

We're just starting to think about this and we were thinking of starting in Rome and staying 2 or 3 days then get ourselves to the Umbria area (train or rental car?)to stay for about a week. Not sure if we'd then go back to Rome to fly home or go somewhere else for another few days and go home from another location. We only had a few hours in Rome when we did a cruise in 2005 so we'd love to go back and spend a few days there. Also, definitely want to see Umbria area. We're 2 couples who travel together frequently and would spend 2-3 weeks on this trip. Not sure if 4 of us and luggage would fit in a rental car...any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! We're willing to use public transportation if it's relatively easy to navigate.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM

It is very hard to say. I prefer early May to late October but they are both nice times of the year. One thing you might want to consider is the length of days and the temperature. Early May is much more pleasant generally and the days are longer.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM

We always do May, since

the days are much longer

often sights are open longer hours

the countryside is blooming and beautiful

locals aren;t still recovering from a summer packed with tourists

I believe the chances of rain are about equal - probable on a day or two in any 2 weeks in italy.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM

I'm going to respond because I was in Italy the month of October last year (and will be again this year-I leave tomorrow) Most of the weather was beautiful but just how one never knows..... I experienced a snowstorm the thord week of October on the Amalfi COast and driving to Puglia (bizarre) and was in Rome at the end while it rained cats and dogs (but I love Rome when it rains)!

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM

TAW - you definitely would be better served taking the train from Rome because even with a full-sized car and luggage for 3 weeks' travel for four people, it won't all fit. I knew that when we tried to do it in 2001, though we landed in Florence, but no one would listen to me. The other couple ended up renting a second car just for their luggage in essence to drive the hour and half to Umbria, and then turned the car in there. You can rent a car once you get there, even a smaller one, and you all can tour comfortably once you get your luggage there.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Hello TAW, I have been in Italy in October when there were horrendous rain and electrical storms and I have been in Italy in May when there were the same weather patterns. But other days were beautiful. I agree that in May the Italians that you no doubt would be dealing with are not worn out from all the tourist.

If you go to Italy the last two weeks in October I would be inclined to stay in Umbria first and Rome last.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We just finished a three week trip in Italy with another couple and we and our luggage fit comfortably in a Fiat Chroma rented from Hertz through Autoeurope. We had four 22" rollaboards, and four carry ons and they all fit in the covered "trunk" area of this wagon. The interior was very roomy. HOpe this helps.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Four people plus luggage in a car can be problematic - unless you stick to carry-ons (like 22&quot. If you have moderate size luggage - 25" or 26" case plus carry-on per person you will have a LOT of trouble getting it into any car trunk.

And if you're like my SIL - who travels with a 30" body bag - it just can;t be done.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM

We're having some weird cold weather here in Italy now, but normally October is nice. I still prefer May though--the countryside is beautiful in late spring.

I think renting a car is a great idea, as long as you rent a large enough one.