Weather in Ireland

Nov 19th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Jess

Weather in Ireland

Hi. I am a college student travelling to Ireland for a a four month study abroad. As you can probably guess, it will be my first time there and I have no idea what to pack!! If anyone has any tips on what the weather is like during the months of January to May I would really appreciate your input!! Any other advice or suggestions would be great too. Thank you!!

Nov 19th, 2002, 08:00 AM
ellen

Go to worldclimate.com for monthly temperatures and rainfall averages in cities around the world for every month. It will give you an idea.

Nov 19th, 2002, 08:19 AM
JohnL

Raingear will be your most important thing to pack. Light rainproof jacket will be fine with a sweater underneath for the warmer months. Heavier lined jacket for winter. Weatherproof boots or shoes. You probably already have those or can find what you need in LL Bean, Eddie Bauer or Lands End. The rest of what you pack will be found in your closet... jeans, long sleeved shirts, etc. Your "American" clothes won't stand out in Ireland. You'll have a great time.

Nov 19th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Rex

Jess,

Any chance you are going in association with programs offered by Butler University of Indianapolis? Our youngest daughter is interested in their programs (in Ireland or England - - an English major, interested in secondary education - - or maybe it's the other way around) - - but most likely for 2004.

Anyhow, I was quite surprised that Butler has more students (mostly from OTHER universities) enrolled in other programs than almost any other school in its size and class.

whether that's the case or not, there might be some fun/merit in you two comparing notes before, during or after, if you and she would have the interest. I do not know if there are any students from her own school (Clemson) headed there for 2003 or not.

I am an Iowa alum myself (U of I, not Iowa State), so I have a high respect for the educational system there.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 19th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Heather Long

Temp goes from about 40 degrees in Jan to about 55 in May but you do get frost some days up to March and maybe snow for a day or two.February has the worst weather and it gets quite pleasant in April and May.Rainfall is much higher in the west which is also quite windy near the sea.However it is mostly showers rather than the sort of heavy rain you get in places like Florida.Hurricanes are unheard of as are earthquakes.Irish people actually go on vacation to places like Killarney all through the year.Even in January I have seen the open-top bus in Dublin doing good business as people from Europe come to a relatively mild Ireland for a few days break.

Nov 19th, 2002, 01:26 PM
l

Hi Jess...Layer, Layer, Layer....Have a wonderful time! Helen

Nov 19th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Krista

Can't beat the suggestion of layering. I would take khakis and jeans...don't bother with skirts, it gets really chilly when that wind starts blowing. Polar fleece and a rain coat are great! Other than that take whatevre you would normally where in winter. They just don't get snow like the US.