Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Weather in Andalusia and Barcelona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-in-andalusia-and-barcelona-1007678/)

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 03:08 AM

Weather in Andalusia and Barcelona?

I've been looking at various weather websites for some indication of what type of weather I will encounter in Andalusia (last week March) and Barcelona (first week April) and the reports are varied.

Has anyone been to Spain during this time frame? Any advice on weather and appropriate clothing I should be packing?

From what I'm reading I have to take everything from shorts and sandals to sweaters and coats -- and I'd like to be able to narrow it down somehow.

How cold does it really get? I've experienced the worst winter in years here in Philadelphia -- so temps in the 50's feels like summer right now.

Just need some realistic observations from anyone who has visited Spain end of March/beginning of April.

Thanks!

adrienne Mar 6th, 2014 03:21 AM

I was in Barcelona last April (second week) and the weather doesn't get any more perfect. It was mid 60s to low 70s in the day; evenings required a light sweater. The first couple of days I wore a sweater when we started out in the morning (usually around 9:00) but then took it off soon afterward. The rest of the time I didn't bother with the sweater in the daytime. The sky was brilliant blue the entire 8 days with occasionally puffy clouds. It was heaven!

I wore winter slacks (not wool), short sleeve shirts in the day. Long sleeve shirts in the evening plus a light sweater. I also packed a pashmina or two for evening and sometimes only wore the pashmina, not the sweater.

That said, there's no predicting the weather. I did not bring sandals and shorts would have been out of place in Barcelona. It was definitely not sandal weather.

You're lucky you have temps in the 50s. I'm still freezing in central NJ.

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 03:30 AM

Oh no....we're still freezing in Philly too! I meant the thought of temps in the 50's in Spain sounds like summer....LOL

I'm from Jersey -- used to live in Essex County, Union County, then Middlesex County before coming down to the Philly area!

I miss NJ! Would love to move back!

nytraveler Mar 6th, 2014 03:51 AM

Our visits to Andalusia were mid to late April and it was definitely beach weather - 80s during the day. Madrid was 99/100 by the first of May.

I'm sure Barcelona will be cooler - but can't imagine you will need a coat versus a lightweight spring jacket.

adrienne Mar 6th, 2014 04:04 AM

<< Oh no....we're still freezing in Philly too! I meant the thought of temps in the 50's in Spain sounds like summer....LOL >>

How funny! I couldn't imagine the temp difference only 2 hours south! I was getting ready for a day trip - LOL.

Wait until the week before you leave to decide what to pack. I usually judge European weather by how the weather is at home when going to places of approximately the same latitude. Last April the weather was about the same at home as in Barcelona.

In spring or fall I always pack a pair of gloves as my hands get cold easily. Sometimes I need them and sometimes I don't but they take up little room and I've been happy to have them at times. I also pack tank tops for layering under tee shirts and pashminas are also good for layering over a sweater or light jacket.

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 07:41 AM

All very excellent ideas, thank you Adrienne!

I consistently overpack when it comes to footwear -- if sandals are OUT as of now, that greatly reduces the number of shoes I bring with me. Layering is a great idea! Scarves might also come in handy with lightweight tops?

nytraveler -- we will be in Andalusia the last week in March. I suspect it won't be as warm as mid-late April.

I will keep checking the weather websites.

yorkshire Mar 6th, 2014 08:24 AM

10 day forecasts are generally reliable--predicting on past springs not so much.
I hear ya on the shoes--I almost take more shoes than clothes. I can always buy a sweater or scarf, but my feet have to be well taken care of!

adrienne Mar 6th, 2014 08:24 AM

I think scarves are always useful. They keep your neck warm plus add a change when you're wearing the same thing over and over. They make a plain outfit a bit more decorative.

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 09:15 AM

This trip I need to take my sneakers -- for the Alhambra. Don't really want to take them but I think this will be a necessity.

I'm used to sandals when I travel, this is the first time that sandals and shorts will stay home.

I'm kind of bummed about that.

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 09:20 AM

This trip I think I need to take my sneakers -- for the Alhambra. Don't really want to take them but I think this will be a necessity.

I'm used to sandals when I travel, this is the first time that sandals and shorts will stay home.

I'm kind of bummed about that.

adrienne Mar 6th, 2014 09:37 AM

Do you really wear shorts in cities? You must be young and have a great body! I'm jealous!

Take the sandals for Andalusia. Take the shorts too. Wear what is comfortable for you. I did not see one person in shorts in Barcelona last year. Not even men.

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 09:49 AM

LOLOL Adrienne!

I only wear shorts at the beach to be honest. But I do love my sandals...with capris and jeans.

My concern is more that the space in my suitcase would be wasted by bringing warm"er" weather clothing. And sandals. LOL

kimhe Mar 6th, 2014 10:58 AM

Weather statistics past 17 years from wetteronline.de for your areas.

Málaga (Andalucian coast) last week of March: average highs 70F, lows 52F, one day rainfall/week, average 7 hours sun/day.

Sevilla (inland Andalucía) last week of March: Average highs 74F, lows 54F, 2 days rainfall/week and average 7 hour sun/day.

Barcelona, first week of April: average highs 64F, lows 48F, one day rainfall/week, average 7 hours sun/day.

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 12:02 PM

So....I can bring my sandals!

I guess my best bet is to check several weather websites closer to my date of departure.

adrienne Mar 6th, 2014 12:07 PM

I do not trust weather.com for European weather. Not since it gave me reports of thunderstorms and 60 degree weather in London (up to the departure morning). I removed half of my warm weather clothing from my suitcase, replacing it with cool/rainy weather clothing. It was hot all week and we were happy having AC in the hotel. I had half the clothing I needed!

<< So....I can bring my sandals! >>

It's vacation...bring what makes you happy.

Have a great time!

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 12:39 PM

Thank you Adrienne!

ribeirasacra Mar 6th, 2014 01:00 PM

"and the reports are varied."
Yes weather is variable and not predicable. Even weather history websites cannot give you a forecast.

"It's vacation...bring what makes you happy." yes there are no fashion police here.

PalenQ Mar 6th, 2014 01:19 PM

http://www.holiday-weather.com/seville/averages/march

danon Mar 6th, 2014 01:46 PM

What others said...the.weather is totally unpredictable in the spring.
I was in Barcelona at the end of April last year....it rained for several days...it was cool
On A previous visit in mid- March , it was sunny and mild.
We were in Seville mid April and it was windy and rainy .
( came from Malaga where no one was on the beach)

Judy_Rosa Mar 6th, 2014 01:48 PM

I am just looking forward to leaving CHILLY PHILLY for a few weeks -- 17 days to go!