Weather help please - France & Italy

Jun 8th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Donna

Weather help please - France & Italy

I don't know if I am losing my mind or what.

I am getting ready to go to Paris, Venice and Rome (leaving 3 weeks from today!!) and for some reason I thought the weather that time of the summer was more 80's than upper 60's and selected clothing accordingly.

Today with time to kill I went to worldclimate.com and saw that the average temps in Paris for July is only the high 60s during the day and 40s at night.

Can someone with experience please tell me if that is so.

If so why all the worry and bother on these boards about shorts and tank tops??

Thanks.

Donna

Jun 8th, 2001, 04:30 PM
amik

I am not an expert, but from MY experience, Paris is much more "European" in its weather style, meaning it could be in the 80's, and it could be 60's... It could be blustery hot, it could rainy also.
Rome/Venice are Mediterranean, meaning much warmer in the summer, I don't think you shouild expect 60's there. As far as rain, I would expect some in Venice, less in Rome.
Bon Voyage, Amik.

Jun 8th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Andy

Just pack a lite shawl for Paris for cool days or nites--do get all panicky over it--or at least 1 long sleev t shirt...VENICE AND ROME WILL BE HOT.
I was in England and a MED cruise 2 weeks ago-England 50's and rain and Rome 84 -hot,humid and sunny--

Jun 8th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Ishoo

Donna: Average temps for Paris in July: high 25(c), 77(f), low 15(c), 59(f) with 12 days of ran. Something is wrong at the site where you got your info or you read it wrong.
Venice is: 27(c), 81(f), low 19(c), 66(f), with 7 days of rain.
Rome is : 30(c) 86(f), low 20(c), 67(f),with one day of rain.

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Taylor

Weather anywhere is unpredictable but I have been in Paris in July several times and it has been relatively hot - high 70s-high 80s. We were just there May 21-29 and it was sunny and very warm 70s-85 the whole time except a bit breezy and overcast at the Normandy Beaches. Take a rain jacket or windbreaker and a sweater or layers because I have also experienced some drizzly days even in summer, which with the clouds, makes it a tad chilly. That sort of weather never seemed to last long. Generally expect the 70s-80s.

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Taylor

Forgot to mention Venice and Rome. I have only been to Venice in the winter and spring. Because of the water a breeze can be chilly. It is cooler than Rome. I lived in Rome one summer and I would say expect 80s weather. Of course all teh temps I mentioned in this message and the Paris reference refer to daytime temps.

Jun 9th, 2001, 04:25 AM
Donna

Thanks for all the replies - that is more like what I was expecting weatherwise.

I guess I did shop correctly after.

Now to just keep counting down the days until we leave.

Donna

Jun 9th, 2001, 06:06 AM
Fred

If anyone tells you what the weather in Paris will be at any particular time, don't believe them. They don't know, I don't know, you won't know until you get there. Paris is so changeable and unpredictable nobody really knows. One trip it was sunny and mild, cloudy and windy, cold, rain, snow, hail (big hail stones), then sunny and mild again......and all on the same day. People have been cold in July, warm in October. So bring most of your clothing for the season, but throw in a couple of other pieces for the other stuff. If close to being between seasons, bring a bunch of both. Have layers to put on or take off.........and always, always, umbrellas. For more Paris information e-mail me [email protected]

Jun 9th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Shelley

My husband and I traveled to Paris several years ago in June-July and we were freezing. Luckily I had a lot of suitcases with me since I was abroad for some time and could lend him a jacket. So, it is pretty unpredictable. And another thing, we woke up so early to see Paris and then we also wanted to stay and see Paris at night. Paris doesn't get dark until about 10pm and since we were out all day we were exhausted. Knowing this I would have slept in a little more.