Weather Forecast: Rain in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to IReland next week and the long range forecast calls for rain every day we are there. We are in Galway for 3 nights and Limerick for 1. What would be some suggestions for things to do in the pouring rain in Ireland? Of course there is the obvious, pubs. We do plan on a horserace, the Munster National in Limerick on Sunday. (rain or no rain). Would appreciate ideas.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:06 AM

First of all: Don't put too much faith in long range forecasts. They are far from 100% accurate. You might get lucky: It could be not so bad as the long range forecasts predict. The 'Met' people probably figure they are always safe predicting rain in Ireland.

Also, don't expect rain all the time.

The weather in Ireand varies from West (Galway & Limerick) to East (Dublin). In Galway, a double-decker sightseeing bus leaves from in front of the Tourist Office and takes you on a short tour of the City. I don't know if there's one like that in Limerick City.

I don't carry an umbrella but I do take two (2) hooded (Eddie Bauer) nylon rain parkas. That way, I usually have a dry one back at the B&B (or hotel).
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

topping in hopes of a reply
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:16 AM

Museums and anything that's open that's indoors (ie, castles, heritage centers, art galleries, shopping, cafes, Amusements...)

As NEDSIRELAND said, you can get rain everyday in Ireland but that doesn't mean it will be raining the whole time.

The Irish saying goes: If you can see the mountains, it's going to rain and if you can't, it IS raining.

Or: If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.

I also always (no matter what time of the year) bring rain gear. Try those ones that can roll up and be stuffed into it's own little pouch (I get mine from REI; pants and rain jacket) and having more than one water resistant layer is always a good idea as well. Wear hiking boots and bring a few extra pairs of socks in case your feet get wet.

Have a great time!

Wendy
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:17 AM

Anything longer than a 3 day forecast isn't going to be accurate in any way and there will be local variations regardless. I suggest that you look at the Irish Meteorological Service website at www.met.ie for your forecasts if you haven't done so already. For visitor attractions in Galway look at http://www.irelandwest.ie/visitor_attractions/ For Limerick see http://www.shannonregiontourism.ie/visitor_attractions/ The Hunt Museum in Limerick is worth a visit http://www.huntmuseum.com or the Ailwee Cave in Clare. If you want to see crystal being made go to Galway Crystal http://www.glawaycrystal.ie Kylemore Abbey is also nice. Have a good trip.

www.vistaphotos.com
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:09 AM

As someone once opined "There is no bad weather in Ireland just a poor choice of clothing".

We toured Ireland from Sep. 9 to 19. The forecast for the first week was mostly rain. As it turned out we had two mornings of rain in the two weeks and the rest all sunny days in the 70's.

Go and enjoy.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:07 AM
Syv

Sorry to butt in here...

Speaking of weather --- what temperatures / climate can we expect in 2nd & 3rd week of March, west coast /central Ireland and primarily all over Northern Ireland.

Will it be sweater weather, winter coats, or light spring jacket?

Is anything green yet / flowers starting in March or still too cold?

Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:46 AM

Svy

Temps are cooler with good winds blowing - the kind that can cut to the bone so bring a good wind breaker. Best if you can get one that is wind and water proof. Also, hats and gloves to protect those chilly bits.

Often rain (no brainer) but depending on how much has gone before you will depend on the amount of flowering going on. Early March will have less, later March can be absolutely beautiful with flowers. Daffodils esp.

If you've never been to Ireland before then you won't notice the lack of green. Still plenty to go around even then! (Gulf stream keeps Ireland from gettig too cold... or too warm. Usually, mind.)

Have a great time! I loved Ireland in March.

wendy
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM
Ardfert

It rains on the west coast for 9% of the time and 6% on the east side.It rains on 200 days per year but seldom for long and for the most part it is just showers although you can get heavy rain for a few days on occasions.Fog is uncommon and thunderstorms likewise.The west coast can be quite windy in winter.The average temperature is 3 degrees F lower than San Francisco in the summer and 10 degrees F lower in winter.Snow is uncommon in Ireland and rarely lasts for more than a day or two.The tourist business has gradually extended and I have enjoyed holidays in Ireland in winter as well as summer.www.aerlingus.com offers much cheaper travel to Ireland in winter.I prefer the summer though when the days can last until 10 or 11pm and average temperature is around 60F compared to 40F in winter.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Well, if you live here, it seems like it rains more than 50% of the time. Except for the last few months, which have been amazing.

However, we're back to our old ways today--aside from an hour or two this morning, it's been freezing cold, blustery and rainy (yes, all day).

You can't plan your trip around rain. Basically, you can do everything in the rain that you can do in sunshine. Just wear a waterproof jacket.

As the saying goes, if you don't like the weather in Ireland, wait a minute.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:52 AM

The rain in Ireland falls mainly on the higher land.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Just wondering what part of Ireland Ann41 is in?
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM

She moved to Northern Ireland in teh past year.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 01:54 PM

We were in Ireland in early September and also had an 8 day forecast of rain. In fact, we had GREAT weather with only 2 half days of sprinkles. It seems that the weather is very unpredictable in Ireland. Have fun, it was a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 02:00 PM

We had the same experience at the end of September through October 5....rain predicted daily but we only had one rainy day!! Hope your forecast is as accurate as ours.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Very funny, mwrunrfl...

Actually, the county I live in is one of the driest in Ireland, but it still rains most of the time. Like today. But as I said before, until last week, it had been an incredible, and dry, summer. Although I just moved here about 6 months ago, I've been coming here for about 15 years and have lived here in the past. No one remembers a summer like it.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Opal,

I'm sorry to hear about the forecast, but here's a suggestion to help chase away the rainy west of Eire blues: Kenny's bookshop, located in smack-downtown Galway City is a gem of a bookshop. Indeed. it's one of the best shops of its kind in all Ireland. The Irish-related section is unbeatable, the staff is learned and welcoming; you'll need at least a couple hours to do it justice. Don't miss Kenny's.

Best of luck.