Weather/clothing advice Vienna/Prague?

Nov 10th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Weather/clothing advice Vienna/Prague?

Hi!

I leave in a week, and right now Iím stressing over what to pack. Iíve heard Prague especially can be cold but the weather report doesnít look too bad. Is it layering weather? Puffer/gloves/hat weather? Dry cold or humid cold? Do you recommend an umbrella?

Iím sure Iím over thinking this, but I really donít want to over pack this time. Any advice?
Nov 10th, 2019, 09:59 PM
kja

Would you rather travel prepared or buy things if necessary once there?
Nov 10th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Yeah...thatís what I keep thinking too.
Nov 11th, 2019, 06:38 AM

I never carry an umbrella. I absolutely hate having a hand that's unusable, plus they are a big PITA when you go indoors. I wear a hat or a hood, or both, and just don't get fussy about having damp hair or face. My DH OTOH almost always carries an umbrella. So that's up to you.

The weather forecast for Prague looks pretty darn cold to me for the next 10 days or so. It's 2C today with 93% humidity. And it doesn't get much better over the coming weeks - lots of rain in the forecast. If you're going to be outdoors a lot - and most people on vacation are - I think you're going to want to be plenty warm. I would probably take silk long underwear, tights or leggings, turtlenecks, warm wool sweater, and puffer coat. Maybe a lightweight rainproof jacket to throw on over. Definitely hat, warm scarf, and gloves. Yes, it's a pain to unbundle when you go indoors, but I prefer that over freezing.
Nov 11th, 2019, 07:12 AM

I never wore that much clothing when it was -18C in the Arctic!

The forecast I looked at showed 11C on Monday next week dropping to 3C by Friday, but mostly sunny, and very little wind = crisp cold. Doesn't get below freezing. Vienna is forecast to be a few degrees warmer. Good warm shoes, a hat, gloves and a good coat are probably enough, with a warm sweater underneath. You can always buy stuff if you are cold.
Of course forecasts change, so the coat should be waterproof ideally, but if you like an umbrella then take one - it shouldn;t be so windy you can't use it.
Nov 11th, 2019, 08:09 AM

I do like a very small collapsible umbrella -- fits in a handbag or coat pocket -- but that is personal preference because I hate hoods. I usually take hoods off coats. I can easily travel in those sorts of temps with just a carry on. I did a river cruise in Germany in similar weather over Christmas last year. Puffer coat, cashmere sweaters, warm socks, warm scarf, head band or hat, tees/tops/blouses to layer, gloves, booties and/or shoes with sturdy soles. N o jeans because they just aren't warm enough.

A fleece or puffer vest for days it isn't cold enough for the full on coat
Nov 11th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

St cirq, Janis, you pretty much described what is on my couch waiting to be packed right now itís the umbrella, rain jacket and the puffer vest that I keep going back and forth on, probably because the weather has been weird here. Cold then warm and rainy.

i shipped my raincoat and puffer vest home last time, but last time I was in Germany a month later...

think Iím going to take the umbrella out at least!
Nov 11th, 2019, 01:50 PM

We visited Prague in late October/early November many years ago. I wore a winter coat, hat, scarf, and gloves. And I brought long underwear, which I did wear a few days. I always bring a collapsible umbrella. We had sunshine every day except for one day when it rained.