Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Weather/clothes for UK in Sept/Oct (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-clothes-for-uk-in-sept-oct-942550/)

mirolex Jul 12th, 2012 10:59 AM

Weather/clothes for UK in Sept/Oct

Trying to decide just how to pack for this trip, about 3 wks, from mid-Sept to early Oct. I know we should be prepared for rain =) but not sure how the temps could be. Last time we were there in mid-late Oct - recall sun, rain, but not temps other than we weren't cold w/ lined jackets over light-med. layers. Trying to decide what to take that will pack into smaller bags is a real challenge for cooler weather...

PatrickLondon Jul 12th, 2012 11:12 AM

>>lined jackets over light-med. layers<<

You've answered your own question, I think. We quite often get unexpectedly warm spells around that time, but no-one can predict with any accuracy this far out (do you really need to decide now?). The answer has to be layers: that's the time of year when one's always adding or removing a layer as the day goes on.

mirolex Jul 12th, 2012 01:07 PM

While the final decisions certainly won't be made for a while, it's not too soon to be checking the wardrobe. I think I have a good excuse for some 'retail therapy'! = )

ESW Jul 12th, 2012 02:11 PM

A lot depends on your tolerance of cold. Husband can be in sweater and fleece while I am in shirt sleeves...

The weather this year has been funny and the summer has been quite cool and very wet, so you could be in for anything!

As Patrick says, think layers. Bring T shirt (which can double up as a vest), shirt, fleece and waterproof layer.

annhig Jul 12th, 2012 02:17 PM

A lot depends on your tolerance of cold. Husband can be in sweater and fleece while I am in shirt sleeves...>>

last year at about that time there was a real heat wave and we were all sweltering.

it doesn't matter what you plan for, it's bound to do the opposite.

janisj Jul 12th, 2012 02:25 PM

You honestly can't know ahead of time. May/June this year my trip had <i>everything</i> - sleet/rain/bright sun/43F/84F/fog

nytraveler Jul 12th, 2012 05:46 PM

Plan on rain, drizzle, mist, cloudy with sunny intrevals and even a couple of days of just sun. Temps are likely to be mild to slightly chilly at night (assuming you're coming from a temperte climate - if you're from FL you may be cold the whole time). But you really won;t know until each day happens.

Also you said UK and location will vary a lot.

One year in July it was 80 when we left London and when we got to Edinburgh 5 days later it was 45, windy and pouring rain - sideways. And we were wearing tee shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater and rain jacket - and were still cold.

Whenever yo go bring a sturdy folding umbrella and apri of comfy waterproof walking shoes.

janisj Jul 12th, 2012 07:04 PM

"<i> it was 80 when we left London and when we got to Edinburgh 5 days later it was 45, windy and pouring rain - sideways. </i>"

Don't take nytraveler's post to mean the south/London will be warmer than the north/Scotland.

During this last May's heatwave, the hottest places in the whole country were in the far NW and NE of Scotland.

It just means the weather could be anything - and probably will be.

PatrickLondon Jul 12th, 2012 09:23 PM

Roughly speaking, at that time of year, I might think daytime temperatures below the mid-50s F noticeably low, and those above the low 60s F noticeably warm (a warmish outer layer is needed in the evenings). It may also feel a bit humid.

But it's been so topsy-turvy this year so far that nothing would surprise me.

Ackislander Jul 13th, 2012 03:59 AM

Last night, I read your question to an English visitor who was at that moment sitting in our living room here in Nantucket.

Her reaction was to "Give Me a Look"*, to say, "Hah!", sharply, before adding "Layers", and returning to her book.

*"Giving Look" should be familiar to readers of Angela Thirkell.

bilboburgler Jul 13th, 2012 04:14 AM

I'd have thought Paddington Bear might be a better looker.