Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/weather-and-clothes-in-paris-aug-2-8-a-1021476/)

ssbbaa77 Jul 29th, 2014 03:50 PM

weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8

I will be in Paris the dates above. Coming from Seattle, I am used to cloudy weather but the rains appears to be different in Paris.

The weather forecast states showers on Saturday then cloudy with some sunshine for the rest. Will an umbrella be needed? A raincoat? Boots?

Would appreciate any input,
Samira

aliced Jul 29th, 2014 04:27 PM

Yes, pack a tiny folding umbrella and a waterproof windbreaker if you have one; mine folds into its own pocket; easier to navigate in and outs wearing that rather than using an umbrella except for sudden downpours. No boots are necessary, perhaps you have some sort of comfy water-resistant footwear in addition to comfy sandals. Paris has been cool and wet this year and patterns tend to remain such through the summer. Obviously, if the weather is wet, you'll be spending more time using the Metro rather than walking but oh the views you'll miss! Wish you good weather and a fabulous time.

Dukey1 Jul 29th, 2014 04:29 PM

The rain in Paris is different? HOW?

Kathie Jul 29th, 2014 05:23 PM

In Seattle, rain comes down in little dribs and drabs over a long period of time. In Paris, we had actual downpours - something infrequent in rainy Seattle. Seattle has more names for slow rain - drizzle, mist, etc. It can rain for days and only add up to an inch. Of course, in November its rains harder.

Samira, we were in Paris in may and it rained for the first week off and on (mostly on) but we walked a lot nonetheless. Even in the rain it is still Paris.

nytraveler Jul 29th, 2014 05:39 PM

No raincoat and definitely no boots.

Take a tissue weight rain jacket with hood and a sturdy folding umbrella. You are much more likely to get heat than cold.

Do you wear boots and raincoat every time it mists or drizzles at home - I don;t even use an umbrella unless the rain is fairly heavy. And wouldn't use raincoat or boot until it gets cold.

justineparis Jul 29th, 2014 07:13 PM

Umbrella yes.I am female and hate what rain does to my hair, and I hate hats.

Boots most definitely no.t.. its not winter it won't be cold.

I always bring a lightweight windbreaker type jacket .

ssbbaa77 Jul 29th, 2014 07:33 PM

great! thank you

will bring a folding umbrella, maybe my Northface rain jacket with a hood ( everything else is raincoat or leather jackets), sandals and maybe booties…

spaarne Jul 29th, 2014 08:21 PM

<i>weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
Posted by: ssbbaa77 on Jul 29, 14 at 7:50pm
Will an umbrella be needed? A raincoat? Boots?</i>

Wear whatever you like but don't forget the scarf. See http://tinyurl.com/n4r9xd. If you need something you can actually buy it when you get there. Let's see, how many umbrellas do I have?

elizzie4000 Jul 29th, 2014 09:55 PM

One trip I was in Paris in August and heat was what I remember most. Even when it rains. Humid and hot and steamy. Even if it chills off, as said, you don't need boots. No heavy coat or jacket was needed. Already said, umbrella for sure. I have a very light weight raincoat that has a hood which comes in handy if I don't want to have my hands taken with an umbrella at times.

Have a great trip!

ssbbaa77 Jul 30th, 2014 07:13 AM

that was a great link spaarne. thank you! I guess the Northface jacket will stay in Seattle… :)

justineparis Jul 30th, 2014 09:55 AM

Booties? That sounds unreasonable. Really. Its not winter.

ssbbaa77 Jul 30th, 2014 01:59 PM

then when its raining what shoe do people wear if not a bootie?

thats people do in seattle.

i would love to pack lighter anyway...

Kathie Jul 30th, 2014 02:04 PM

You must be thinking of cold rain if you think of booties. How about flip-flops or another waterproof sandal?

ssbbaa77 Jul 30th, 2014 02:29 PM

ok, now the picture is clearer. when its rains in seattle the temp usually drops and sandals are not an option. thanks for info, it helps a lot with packing light...

Southam Jul 31st, 2014 07:38 AM

The scarf advice applies to men and women alike. A light scarf is the finishing touch any time except in a heat wave. And yes, scarves make great souvenirs so spend enough to buy quality. Also look around to see how to toss a light sweater over your shoulders, an alternative if the temperature takes a dip in the evening.

justineparis Jul 31st, 2014 06:54 PM

ssbbaa.. I live in Victoria.. not terribly different then Seattle.. ( I understand you get a bit more rain) and I do not wear booties unless its very cold and pouring rain.

You are going in August.. not December.. Paris is not that different latitude to Victoria and Seattle.. so you do realize the weather is a bit similar.. a bit hotter in Paris.. and it is inland,, but its not going to be cold rain in middle of summer.