Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wearing dark pants/light colored shirts in Italy to avoid vendors/gypsies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying in Naples 2 nights, Capri 3 nights, Rome 4 nights starting September 16. My wife has just returned from visiting with a cousin who has traveled a lot in Italy and in Rome and he has advised her that we should wear dark colored clothes, light colored tops, so as to fit in better as a local. I don't have a clue about that. But, he says the Italian men, for example, will wear dark pants, white shirts. And if you go wearing light colored pants you mark yourself as a tourist and get mobbed by vendors. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm guessing the color of your clothing is not the only reason the locals can tell you are a tourist.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I guess to totally fit in, you'd have to wear the same type clothes as the local people AND walk purposefully, never consulting your map, keep your camera hidden, and stay away from all destinations that tourists frequent. I guess it's possible that Romans go to the Trevi fountain on occasion, but I think that the vendors assume that if you're at the Trevi fountain, you're a tourist. And of course, don't open your mouth,unless your Italian is flawless.

AS far as pickpockets are concerned, I assume that if they see a wallet in a back pocket, or an unzipped purse, they don't care if you're dressed like a local or not!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Clothes aren't the only thing that mark you as a tourist. If you leave the fluoros at home, that's a favour to all, but I think packing clothes your comfortable and confident in go further than ascribing to some ZOMG I cannot let them think I'm a tourist (b/c you are, and even "locals" from other areas who should "fit in" also get marked as tourists, b/c that's just what they are.)
Wear what you guys like, and use precaution, and learn how to say no, forcefully. Have a safe trip
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Hi Capri, it is more than just the color of the pants. Pants made in Italy are tailored differently.

However darker colored pants are pratical as they don't show the dirt (a stain etc) as much as light colored pants do so that is a benefit, especially if you are out sightseeing all day. Enjoy your time in Italy, it sounds like a wonderful trip!!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Every time I read about trying to dress so as not to look like a tourist, I think of when I went back east to visit friends - we went to Philly one day and while were in line to see the Liberty Bell, one friend handed her husband the camera to hold while she got something out of her bag. He said that he didn't want to hold the camera because it would make him look like a tourist. We told him that yeah, standing in line to see the Liberty Bell made him look like a local, but the camera would be a dead giveaway. LOL.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM

I will say that when we were in Italy, the only people we saw in the "khakis and golf shirt" look were other Americans. I've been told that folks from other countries (e.g Japan) wear golf shirts, but the only people we saw in the light pants/golf shirt combo were American men. I'm not saying to avoid it, however; it is a "neat" look - nothing wrong with it.

As for myself, I live in Texas and wear lots of beige and light grey tropical wool slacks in my "business casual" wardrobe. I took them with me to Italy - they folded up so nice and flat; they were comfortable, but once I got there, I realized that they SCREAMED "middle aged American lady."
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM

>>they were comfortable, but once I got there, I realized that they SCREAMED "middle aged American lady."<<

missypie: After all, there are much worse things that could be screamed.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM

missypie, talk about not wanting your clothing screaming your age.

I was wandering around Cimetiere Montmartre last week when I was befriended by a well dressed, IMO, octogenarian (a guess of her age) woman. She must have been feeling a bit lonely because she literally took me by the hand and spent over an hour giving me a tour of the cemetery. I could have stopped at any point but she was very kind, could speak a bit of English and she was showing me monuments not listed in any tour book. It was one of those valued serendipitous moments.

I am always pleased to look the part of a "Parisien" but as I looked down at my light gray pants, black jacket and scarf around my neck for warmth, I realized I was almost her mirror image, although 3 decades younger, yikes.

I shall choose to think of myself as a classic dresser, something that never goes out of style Deborah
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM

I guess I will be the typical tourist. Cutter & Buck tan slacks w/assorted golf shirts and the occasional tee. Oh, and will probably bring the white New Balance sneakers...... Who cares?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM

I actually was hopeing - a little bit - that I would be accosted by gypses so that I coudl show what a tough informed traveller I was. Nothing remotely scary happend. Instead of me getting groped on a Rome subway, I fell into a woman and grabbed her boob Wear you money belt, be careful with you bags, download your pictures often the worst comes to worse if you camera is stolen it is part of the experience. I found Rome wayyyy less scary than Boston!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM

How about dressing like a vendor or a "gypsy"? That would throw them off.
Carry some roses and you may make a few extra euro in the process too.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM
bellastarr

Sea urchin- I have tried that a few times but somehow... I can carry off the roses and the outfit but not the agressive puppy dog expresion?

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM

LOL SeaUrchin, a whole new approach as to how NOT to look like a tourist! =D>

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 02:20 PM

My Italian friend who lives near Rome and works in the middle of the city everyday wears his favorites... Eddie Bauer and Ralph Lauren khakis and polo shirts!! Everytime he comes to the USA he buys more! It's not just Americans who like that look. You might just find some of those folks dressed like that are true Italians.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:57 PM

I just dress like the American tourist that I am, and ignore the street vendors, gypsies, etc., even when they are in my face. There is no quicker way to get them to move along, and they approach everybody, Italian or not.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Well I AM a middle aged American woman and for me to try to look like anything else would be ridiculous. I can't afford to have a face lift, lipo suction, and a tummy tuck AND travel, so I'll keep looking like the woman I am and enjoying my destinations. Do you think that when French or Italian woman travel to the US, they ask each other if they should leave their black boots at home and buy a pink jogging suit and some white trainers so they will fit in? It could happen? Ya think?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Where are you from that you think a typical American woman wears a pink jogging suit and white trainers? Nobody wears that stuff where I live. I don't think I've ever seen a woman wearing a pink jogging suit.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Christina, oh to be so lucky.

I dunno where the original poster of the pink tracksuit/white sneakers lives, but I live in the south. Plenty of middle-age/older women here wear them, with visors. and not only when they're going to walk in the park.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM

I think that is kind of your wife's cousin to try to give advice, but agree with the above that even if you dress "like a local" it is going to be very hard to not look like a tourist when at major tourist sites armed with camera, map and guidebook (in English). I personally wouldn't worry about the vendors (never been mobbed myself), you can just say "no grazie" or "nessun grazie" and walk away. Remember also that there will be plenty of European and Italian tourists at the Coliseum with cameras and maps and guidebooks as well, your cousin's friend may not have noticed this...As for gypsies, I think that is way overrated, and I personally have never had a problem even when on my own in cities like Rome, Milan, Venice, etc. Of course take normal precautions like you would with your purse and wallet in any large city anywhere, but otherwise, don't spend an inordinate amount of tome or money trying to blend in, its not really possible nor worth it.

I live in Hong Kong and the other day I was in the art museum and came upon four middle-aged Caucasian women tourists wearing the following: sneakers, shorts, fanny packs, polo shirts and sun visors. As I approached a painting there were looking at I was thinking ("Georgia? Chicago?&quot Imagine my surprise when they turned out to be speaking Dutch. The Europeans are looking so American these days......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -