Wearing a cross in Istanbul?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a lame question. I've travelled all over Europe, but have never been to a Muslim country. I will be visiting Istanbul for the first time in September. While I know Istanbul--Turkey in general, really--is a wee bit different than, say, Iran or Syria, I was curious about something: I'm Catholic, I always wear a small gold cross around my neck. Would this possibly get me into any trouble in Istanbul?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM
ira

Hi M,

Will it get you into trouble with the Turkish authorities? No.

Will you stand out? Yes.

Do you always wear it outside your clothes? If so, you might wish to put it under your collar.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM

The Islamists of Turkey frequently go up to Western tourists and search them for crosses & bibles.

BUT whatever you do don't wear a silver ring thing as that just drives them nuts
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Very unlikly, Istanbul isn't eastern Anatolia. However, as nice a everyone is, many here are so pi**ed with the turkish government that they don't go to Turkey anymore. The problem is the "lack" of many fundamental rights and you as a tourist can get into trouble for things that would be normal over here. Well, there are many countries on earth where this problem is worse. However, I glad Turkey won't ever be part of the EU!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
hdm

Unless you're trying to make a point (as I do when I wear my Star of David in particularly anti-semitic times), I think it's best to leave it at home this trip.

I don't think it's a lame question at all, MZ.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
ira

>..you as a tourist can get into trouble for things that would be normal over here. <

Any examples, logos?

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM

The german boy since easter, the "ancient" stone last year. The lutheran church in Istanbul... Those are just a few "things" that happened to foreignern. It's even worse for locals, either get shot in the street or end in prison for nothing but stating your point of view. It has become really bad lately.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM

As someone who has actually been to Istanbul, I can attest to the fact that you can wear a cross around your neck and NO ONE will care. There are Christians and churches in Istanbul you know.

Istanbul is a VERY modern city. You will see all kinds of people going about their business. Yes, you will see women in headscarves, but you will also see women in mini-skirts and platform shoes.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess I will wear it, but if I feel uncomfortable I will just take it off--that would seem to make sense!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
ira

Hi logos,

>The german boy since easter...

Is this the 17 yr-old who ran into trouble when the parents of a 13-yr old girl complained to the authorities about his behavior?

Wasn't he arrested for statutory rape?

Not long ago in GA, USA a 17-yr old boy was found guilty of "child sexual abuse" for engaging in oral sex with a 15-yr old girl and sentenced to 10 years.

Isn't anyone told to stay away from jail bait anymore?

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Yes ira, this is really bad for him. 30 prisoners in one room and one toilet for all. But I'm also glad, GA won't join the EU. ;-) Those sentences are just babaric. They are kids and whatever happend doesn't belong in front of an "adult court". Human rights again... Anyway better than a charge of "insulting the turkish nation". That can get you killed.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
ira

>They are kids and whatever happend doesn't belong in front of an "adult court". <

I agree.

Now, let's here from the parents of the girls.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Here's a completely different thought. My mother was robbed of her jewelry one year. It wasn't over the top expensive, but many items had personal value. Since then, I don't ever take anything but cheap, simple jewelry on foreign travels. It would be very easy for someone to jerk a gold chain from your neck. Anywhere. IMO, it's not something I need to wear anyway!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Well - I don;t know about Turkey being barbaric - but there are lot of places in the US with the death penalty - and kids as young as 13/14 are sometimes tried as adults.

And - everyone going to a foreign country should be aware that they have their own systems of law, rules of justice and prisons that may not be very pleasant.

I know many young men are simply clueless - but then they shouldn;t be wandering around Turkey by themselves.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Wearing a cross is an outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace. You should be sensitive to others; there is no need to wear outwardly that which you cherish inwardly.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM

That's bloody stupid, chavie. That's like telling someone not to wear a Rolex watch because it is a sign of wealth.

Some of you are as thick as a pile of cow shite.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:10 PM

MissZ, I think you have exactly the right idea -- wear what you normally would, and then adjust your behavior if necessary to respond to your surroundings. Here's an article you may find interesting about tolerance of Christianity in Turkey:
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/a...?enewsid=60422
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM

<<Isn't anyone told to stay away from jail bait anymore?>>
Shockingly crass comment from someone as erudite as yourself, ira.
Two years difference in age... from my school days as well as from 33 years in the education system, most 15 year old girls are far more mature than most 17 year old boys.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Rojambe,

I am appalled by your comment to Ira!

I, too have taught 15 year old girls, and I know how "mature" they may seem, and how provocatively they behave. So what? They are under age, and easily taken advantage of. That is why there are laws in many countries against messing with them. They are, by definition, "Jail Bait". Molest them, and you go to JAIL!

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:48 AM

We seem to have got off topic a bit here, but anyway..according to my newspaper today the girl is still a virgin according to the GYN who examined her. He could find no evidence of sexual activity. I am appalled that this young man is being treated as he is. I hope the mother of the girl is ashamed of herself - she is the one who insisted on the rape claim not the girl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -