Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We will soon have (another) published author amidst our ranks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi all! <BR> <BR>Some of you may know Gina Shaw, a regular in our community. She JUST signed a book deal! She will be researching and writing a book on travel in various cities for disabled travelers. Just thought you'd like to know... <BR> <BR>It's a work in progress, but the title may be: <BR> <BR>No Barriers: The Accessible Travel Guide to London (the working title). <BR> <BR>I am really thrilled for her, thought you all may be too! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:39 AM
judyAR

Gina, way to go. Beth, thanks for sharing her good news. After reading some of this group's trip reports, I think we must have quite a few budding authors out there.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Ed

Well done, Gina! And a needed book. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Dr. Betty

Congratulations Gina! Thanks Beth for the heads up. That book and ones like it for other parts of Europe is really needed and will help countless people get to places they didn't know they could see. Gina, let me know when you're in Denver for a book signing. <BR>Dr. Betty

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 11:41 AM
Beth Anderson

Hey Gina - I'm so glad to hear the good news, and we're all waiting for the book for you to autograph now. <BR> <BR>How was New Orleans? I am heading to London tomorrow, whee! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:56 PM
Judy

Congrats Gina! That is wonderful. <BR>Beth: Have a great time!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:47 PM
nancy

Beth! <BR>Have fun on your London visit!! <BR>You will need a vacation though, so you can catch up, and post your all your travels. <BR>You are falling behind there, girl <BR> <BR>Gina,( or Beth,) When would this book be available in stores? <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:56 AM
Beth Anderson

Nancy: <BR> <BR>I know, it is sad - I have not even completely finished my other trip report. You saw the last draft, it's about there, but not quite. I'm afraid to post it, it is so long! <BR> <BR

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:01 AM
Gina

Hi guys, <BR> <BR>Back from New Orleans (whew, what a time)! Beth, you're so nice to pass the word along. (Anybody think I should hire Beth as a publicist or something?) <BR> <BR>Anyway, thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. I'm very excited about this project and over the moon that a publisher has finally given the green light. When things are thoroughly signed, sealed and delivered I'll post all the details. Nancy, I would guess it probably won't be in stores until early next year, but I should know more about plans/timeline/stufflikethatthere in a week or so. <BR> <BR>Meanwhile, Beth is probably about to wing her way to London as we type. Have a great time and wave to Liberty's for me!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 10:05 AM
Bob Barker

Will you all say hi to Archie for me, too? I hope the twins are doing OK. Last I heard, one of them had mumps!!! Did you ever get that spot out of your carpet? <BR> <BR>Is this thread an ad in disguise or what?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:35 PM
Gina

Bob: hardly, since there's nothing for anyone to buy at the moment and won't be for quite some time yet. Beth was just thoughtful in wanting to share my good news with Fodor's folks, many of whom I consider good buddies in the world of travel planning.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
nancy

Dear Mr.Barker, <BR>Are you still around? <BR>It has been so long since I have watched TV shows that I thought you had died! <BR>No, this is not an ad, or anything,. <BR>It maybe could be construed as a little bit of congradulatory "promotion"(if one is so inclined to think that way) <BR>But, Gina's book is not published yet, and if I had a friend who was going to be published, with a book as pertinent to travel as this one may be, what is the harm of letting people know about it? <BR>Gina and Beth are both regular contributors to the site, and I think are just passing on good info. <BR>If they come back and say ; <BR>Gina's book can be prchased for $XX , and one can get it from XX bookstore, or website, then yes, that might be construed as an ad. <BR> <BR>Otherwise ,I think it is great because I am sure there are many people out there that will benefit from this kind of info. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 12:49 PM
Bob Barker

Maybe that's why Beth who started this thread responded to her own original post announcing the book deal as though she had just heard the news...? <BR> <BR>Guess what's behind door number 2. Gina and her pals. <BR> <BR>It's OK. I am just helping by topping this thing again. But it seems obvious.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:18 PM
Gina

If you want to think that this is some sort of sinister advertising plot, Bob, fine. But it isn't. <BR> <BR>Here's exactly what happened, and you can believe me or not. I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras when I heard the good news from my agent. I e-mailed a bunch of my good friends when I had a moment, including Beth A. and Monica P. from this board. Beth e-mailed back a bit later saying she'd tell folks on the board. I almost asked her not to, because I figured one or more cynics would react the way "Bob" has, but then I honestly forgot about that whole piece of things. (Those of you who have been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras can probably imagine that it's easy to get distracted.) <BR> <BR>I don't intend to "advertise" on this board when there actually is something to advertise, which as I've said isn't going to be for awhile yet and by that point this thread will be long gone. As I said before, Beth was just being kind and trying to share good news with people we both like and who share our interest in travel. It's too bad that some folks see crass motives in everything. <BR> <BR>Anyway, thanks Nancy, Dr. Betty, Ed, and both Judys for your kind words. This is a project that means a lot to me, and it brings me so much joy to be working on it with my dad, who is disabled and who's the inspiration for the project in the first place.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:25 PM
Buyer

Wow, when I first read this post I wondered how long it would be until someone wigged out about advertising!!! Now don't get me wrong, I get kind of upset when someone tries to solicit me when I visit this site, but come on... this book isn't even out yet.... and I know from experience that, No offence to Gina... just because she signed a deal doesn't mean that the book will be available for purchase this year, next year or maybe ever. Not once in any post was there a link to some website where I could buy this unpublished book so in my mind that does not indicate advertising (no product to sell yet)... I think it's nice and I wish her success

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:54 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Such a book has been in print since 1996. It is "Access in London: a guide for people who have problems getting around", written by Gordon Couch, William Forrester and Justin Irwin, Quiller Press, 46 Lillie Road, London SW6 1TN, 1996, 310 pages, 7 pounds 95 pence, ISBN 1-89916318-2. They sent about fifty students to look at each tourist attraction, and also at travel, accomodation, entertainment, and loos. The result is excellent. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:00 PM
Gina

Ben's right, it's an excellent book and I frequently recommend it to people. We used it on the first trip my Dad and I took to London together a few years ago. (In fact, Ben, you're the one who originally found it for me!) They also have an excellent guide for Paris, published in 1994. I wish they were able to update these books more frequently, though, because things have changed so much in the intervening time since publication.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:11 PM
Monica

Hi Gina! <BR> <BR>I got your email but could not get access to the complete email. Something was wrong with my computer, because Anne sent me something the other day and I couldn't get the whole document. <BR> <BR>Anyway, CONGRATS! I wish you great success. As always, keep me posted on your writings. <BR> <BR>(Hi Beth!)

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:21 PM
Dawn

Congrats Gina! <BR> <BR>I don't even know you but I think this news is great! <BR> <BR>I'm not sure what exactly the issue is with people advertising. Ok, so it's not allowed here, for whatever reason, but isn't it ones choice to decide if they want to act on an advertisement? Who cares?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:31 PM
Hugh Ingcome

Hi, Tina. Hi, Joan. Hi, Betsy. Hi, Luvvy. Hi, Toots. Hi, Topsy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -