Reload this Page >

WE WERE STRANDED BECAUSE OF THE ALITALIA STRIKE ON THE 8th

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody-
After lots of planning and receiving wonderful advice from my fellow Fodorites, my DH and I were on our way to lovely Italy.

After a long flight and a four hour layover in Amsterdam we boarded our KLM flight to Rome. After sitting on the plane for a while the captain anounced that our flight had been cancelled due to an Alitalia strike at Fiumicino airport.
And that we all needed to deplane and go rebook our flights.
Rule #1 of travel: Expect the unexpected no matter how long you planned, how much you read, and how desperate you are for a real plate of steaming pasta...

So we all got off the plane and waited in line for what seemed forever only for the nice young KLM agent to tell me that we could not even fly into Milan or Bologna because the whole world was trying to land there due to the strike. He said he could put us on a flight into Venice the next morning.

DH and I just looked at each other--we were in the middle of the dreaded airport mayhem that you think only happens to other people--jet lagged, a little upset, unable to speak in coherent sentences...

Well, fellow Fodorites, we made an executive decision there and then--We nixed Italy altogether and rebooked to Tel Aviv for that night. And yes, we had to pay the difference but they waived the rebooking fee.

So here I am, writing to you from my hotel window overlooking the Mediterranean, pondering on the little quirks that make travel so completely exciting.
Thanks again to all of you who helped me plan my Italy vacation.
I'm on my way to grab a nice falafel sandwich....
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Good, good, good for you!!! This is a terrific lesson and one that I will keep in mind. We've been incredibly lucky all these years in never having a major problem (knock wood!), but I have to admit that, were I in the same situation, I doubt if it would have dawned on me (or dh, for that matter) to switch itineraries.

But I will now!!!

Please report fully on your adventure.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Gee, The whole airport was closed due to strike of one airline, Alitalia?
I learned the hard way not to book Alitalia. My flights were booked 8 months in advance and they called me 7 days before departure to tell me there was a schedule change. The change was impossible causing me to miss my tour and to lay over one night coming back. They refused to book me on another airline. They promised a refund but 3 months and lots of phone calls later I still didn't have it. I got the money back only through my credit card company. I also learned that my travel insurance did not cover Alitalia as they are in a precarious financial situation. The silver lining was that airfare was lower closer to departure and I saved $300 on USAir.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Be safe-I don't think that I would have swapped Italy for Israel right now with all that is going on?
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM

I have to say I hope I never get so freaked out in an airport about a cancellation that I book a flight into a war zone.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM

zeppole - L very loud OL!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, now that's an extreme decision. I suppose I'll look for your trip report on the Africa/Middle East board?

By the way, my Alitalia flight was cancelled a few weeks ago; I told our driver from Rome Cabs later, and he smiled and said "Classic." I also was connecting through Schipol, flying KLM with one Alitalia leg. That Alitalia leg had made me nervous for months. We ended up taking a later flight into Rome and spent the afternoon in Amsterdam. A cold, sunny day, walking around the Canal Belt.

I am sorry your situation was much less pleasant, although it sounds as if you're making the best of it all.

Have fun!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

You guys beat me to it!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
ira

Good for you, V.
.................................................. ................................
>I have to say I hope I never get so freaked out in an airport about a cancellation that I book a flight into a war zone.<

I don't think that V intends to go to Gaza, Z.

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM

So, instead of waiting a day, going to Venice and then taking a train for a few hours to Rome, you decided to pay for tickets to Israel. While I can't say for sure, but probably the EU rules or at least airline customer relations would have set you up with a nice hotel and maybe some bucks to offset the costs.

I'm sorry, but things happen and you can either make the best of it or not. You were not stranded, you had options.

dave
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Venezuela Good for you two.

Some people would sit in the airport and sing the blues into overpriced beer and nuts, play the blame game and so on.

But not you, I am so proud of you! Give us an update when you have time.

Love Theresa
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM

ira, you mean those missiles aren't a serious threat to the existence to Israel? That like Venezuela, folks in Tel Aviv today are just hanging out by the Med, having fun with falafels? I don't disbelieve it for a second, but I find myself hoping somebody in Tel Aviv isn't having fun.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Good for you for rolling with the punches! This is a good example of why I refuse to book a flight on Alitalia no matter how inexpensive -I can't imagine why they have such financial difficulty......
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM

My flying friends who have done layovers the past week in Tel Aviv have mentioned the smoke and activity in the skies-no thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:24 PM
P_M

Good job, Israel was one of the best trips I ever took. Don't miss nearby Jaffa, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Dear all,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement!
We are still fighting off the last remnants of jet lag.
All is well...
Even though there is fighting in Gaza we all hope it ends soon for both sides' sake. And Israel is not a war zone...I'm not going to turn this into a political discussion board.
Zeppole--I was never freaked out. Quite the contrary. And Israel is not going anywhere if we can help it. Again, this is a travel board and i'm not going to get into this with you.
Anyway, skies are blue, the weather is gorgeous and the people of Sderot have tremendous fortitude. There are many tour groups in the country. Many international students, families, and folks from all around the world.
Dave--I sure did have options! And I'm having a wonderful time.
Mamaw and Ira--thanks for your kind wishes. I will keep you posted as we go along.
Our son is here on a tour and today we're taking a cab to Jerusalem to surprise him! he thinks we're in Italy. I can't wait to see the look on his face...
Again, thanks for the kind words. I'll write soon--On my way for some nice kugel...

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well I say good for you for being adventurous. Besides you get to see your son!
We had a trip planned to Hawaii a few years ago and there was terrible flooding right before we left. Oahu had dumped 50 million gallons of sewage right in front of the Hilton where were staying. Also, Kauai was under water with dams breaking and all.
So, I called and switched my trip two days before (not quite as spontaneous as you) to the Big Island (which I knew nothing about). We overnighted at the Hilton on Oahu and then flew out the next day to the Big Island for 9 days. It was wonderful. I bought the guide book for the plane, but wound up winging everything and was having fun doing that!
So, stay safe and enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM

By all means. Let's not let conscience get in the way of a good time. Hope it ends too.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Zaeppole STFU!

Venezula I was so happy to read your post today. I was thinking about you all day. OMG, your son is going to be so surpised. I hope you get lots of hugs and kisses.

Enjoy your trip and I hope to hear more soon.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Good for you! I've heard Tel Aviv is amazing. Italy will always be there for you later. I'm trying to become a more spontaneous, roll-with-the-punches traveller...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -