Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   We want to visit Paris, Venice and one other city. Suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/we-want-to-visit-paris-venice-and-one-other-city-suggestions-1006164/)

tinamluke Feb 18th, 2014 09:12 AM

We want to visit Paris, Venice and one other city. Suggestions?

My family of four will be traveling Europe for 14 days. We want to visit Venice and. Paris. We would also like to see one other city. Which place would you recommend? It would be nice if there was a great place to visit between these two cities. We have been to Venice and Paris but my kids have not visited. We want to see something new in addition to our favorites.

travelhorizons Feb 18th, 2014 09:18 AM

London? Barcelona? Rome? Let us know where your kids have NOT visited.

Your best bet for getting between Paris and Venice is a plane, anyway. Just a quick flight vs. a long train or car ride… so the third city being en-route really doesn't matter that much.

nytraveler Feb 18th, 2014 09:19 AM

Interests?

Budget?

Switz is in between and some mountain/scenery would make a nice break. I would probably spend a few days in Lucerne.

tinamluke Feb 18th, 2014 09:27 AM

We have been to Rome, Florence, Milan, Lake Como, Nice, Monaco, and Paris. Thanks for the suggestion of flying from Paris to Venice. We have never been to Barcelona. If we start in Paris how is the best way to get to Barcelona?

kelbo Feb 18th, 2014 09:29 AM

I did a two week trip London, Venice, and Paris with my 16 year old niece the Summer of 2011 when she was 16. It was a great trip. I wasn't too keen on London since I had already been there a couple of times but my niece really wanted to go and it was a great experience and we really enjoyed it. It was nice in the fact that the cities are all so different from one another. We flew Easyjet from Paris to Venice. Definitely check Easyjet for inexpensive flights from Paris to Venice ( or London). have a great trip!

Christina Feb 18th, 2014 09:44 AM

the only best way to get from Paris to BCN is to fly if you don't have that much time. Otherwise, there is a train but it will take up a day, more or less (goes south to Marseille then west to Barcelona). But if you start in Paris, it doesn't make much sense to go to Barcelona and then to Venice, they are pretty far apart.

Switzerland sounds like a good middle point, as someone suggested. Beautiful scenery and nice people, and it is in-between the two points, at least. Otherwise I'd pick London if you haven't been there (fly to London then take the train to Paris).

Pepper_von_snoot Feb 18th, 2014 09:47 AM

If flying, I would do Paris--Lyon--Venice.

Lyon is a great food city and it isn't too big.

Thin

travelhorizons Feb 18th, 2014 10:13 AM

Fly Paris - Barcelona (1 1/2 hour flight) and Barcelona - Venice (1 3/4 hour flight). Everything is quite close in Europe.

Brenkjtravel Feb 18th, 2014 10:31 AM

I would think the logical trip would be London, chunnel to Paris, then fly (it's a qiuck flight and very affordable on Easy Jet), to Venice.

Masterphil Feb 18th, 2014 10:36 AM

Since you are going to fly anyway....go to Prague! :)

If not, I love Switzerland and Luzern is definitely worth a visit!

tinamluke Feb 18th, 2014 11:23 AM

Wow thanks for all the great suggestions. I will definently check them out!

ekc Feb 18th, 2014 11:33 AM

I wholeheartedly second the suggestion of London, Paris and Venice.

mamcalice Feb 18th, 2014 11:47 AM

I third London - it is a great place to visit for all ages. Fly into London and home from Venice.

Christina Feb 18th, 2014 12:31 PM

Everything is not really quite close in all of Europe, which is a continent and includes Greece, Scotland, Finland and Belarus. I am always surprised at how many people think they can get from Germany to Spain in a few hours by train or something like that.

Leely2 Feb 18th, 2014 12:55 PM

If you're flying between cities, and it sounds as if you are, I'd check skyscanner.net and see what looks easy.

I think Prague or Amsterdam would be great.

Hez Feb 18th, 2014 07:09 PM

I'd vote for Barcelona - you would have such a varied view on Europe and your first two destinations are far enough apart that flying to the third isn't out of order.

IMDonehere Feb 18th, 2014 07:41 PM

there is a train but it will take up a day, more or less (goes south to Marseille then west to Barcelona).

Not so. There is now a high speed train between Paris and Barcelona that takes 6 1/2 hours and goes from the heart of city to the heart of the other.

http://www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barce..._TGV_Timetable