Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We've discussed limoncello, how about maraschino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New York Times style section yesterday had a mention of maraschino cherries (not the dyed bright-red ones in little jars in the supermarket)and maraschino liqueur. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

The recommendation was to buy a bottle of maraschino liqueur, add a lot of frozen pitted sweet or sour cherries, and let it steep for a few days.
Said to be yummy over icecream or cake, what could be bad? Just wondering about the liqueur though--is it very sweet?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM

No, I haven't tried that, but you might consider "Cherry Bombs". Drain the liquid from a bottle of the marischino cherries and fill the jar again with 151 proof rum. Let sit for a few days and eat one at a time for a explosive taste sensation.

Not exactly on theme, I know, but the question brought back college memories.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

When we were in Dubrovnik, they were selling maraschino liqueur from cherries grown nearby. I wanted to buy a bottle, but I wanted to taste it first. (Contrary old soul that I am) So we went to several places and never had any luck. None in the bars, cafes, and of course at the liquor stores they certainly weren't giving previews!

Of course now I regret not buying it - untasted. Let us know if you get any and try it out. Sound lucious to me.

Carol / Brahmama
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Now that I've read about it I will search it out, never let it be said that I let a liqueur go untasted.
All of this is related to travel of course (dear Fodors), the idea of tasting new treats in new countries.
I'll report back when I buy the stuff here in NYC, I'll bet now I'm not the only person in Manhattan looking for it.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM

I read that it is clear, dry and not as sweet as actual cherries.
I do think it would be a great idea to do some "Research"..
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

I did have some Cherry Heering once, now THAT was sweet!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Rachael Ray fixed a limoncello dessert on 30 minute meals tonight.
1 scoop lemon sorbet
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
top with 1 jigger limocello and lemon zest - add sugar wafer cookies for garnish.

Should work with any liqueur, sorbet and ice cream.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:17 PM

Maraschino is much less sweet than Cherry Heering (and, as noted above, clear rather than red). It's a very good addition to cocktails - try adding a dash to a Manhattan, or use it in an Aviation (about three parts gin to one each of maraschino and lemon juice).
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:38 PM

Hummm, this thread gives me an idea.

I've got some cut up giant strawberries and a huge bottle of rum - think it'll be OK to soak those strawberries in the rum and let them steep? And for how long?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:30 PM

This reminds me of being in college and using a big syringe to inject vodka into a watermelon. I don't really like watermelon, but after a few bites, who cared?!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM

Hi Susan, never had vodka in watermelon but does anyone ever have the jello things shot full of vodka? About 4 of those and oh good grief, hangover time!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:50 PM

Correction, DID anyone ever have....?? They were quite the popular thing in the SF BayArea in the 1980's.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:53 PM

I cannot imagine jello and vodka

I am a "cheap date".. a Tom Collins was all I was able to manage in the old days in San Francisco ~
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM

Hi Scarlett, no, no, never admit to being a cheap date, LOL.

The jello and vodka was this. Little papers cups were filled with jello part way up and vodka was injected into these cups. Then the little cups were put into the refrigerator to set. They were then passed out during parties. It took a few parties for guest to realize they were getting plastered on these jello cups. To put it bluntly, some of the guest would pass out as more of the jello cups were being passed out. Ah, the good old days. BTW, I have some photos of people that really enjoyed the jello cups, the photos are too funny! But don't think the guest were feeling very funny the next morning.

I never served them but sure went to parties where they were.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM

>>I've got some cut up giant strawberries and a huge bottle of rum - think it'll be OK to soak those strawberries in the rum and let them steep? And for how long? <<

I haven't tried it with strawberries, but I have done this with summer fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums).

Put a layer of washed and sliced fruit in a big jar. Add sugar, then cover with rum. Add more fruit, more sugar, more rum. Continue until jar is full. Set aside for...I want to say at least two weeks, but I don't remember for sure.

A website like allrecipes.com or recipesource.com would have a more exact recipe.

Lee Ann
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:56 AM

You can do this with lots of fruits - damson gin, raspberry gin, raspberry vodka, damson brandy, quince brandy, I've done them all, and I'm sure rum would be a very acceptable substitute for most of them.

The basic recipe for the fruit gins is have 3 equal sized measures. Take one measure of fruit (prick damsons first with a fork), one measure of gin and one slightly smaller measure of sugar. Place in a sterilised bottle or jar until you have filled it or run out of fruit. Then shake well, and leave until the sugar dissolves, turning and/or shaking it every day. Then you can drink it, but left longer it is even better. My 2002 damson gin is the best ever! If the finished product is too sweet you can add more alcohol. With damsons and sloes you can remove the fruit from the gin and repeat the exercise with brandy. Yummy!

Anyone ever tried vodka-marinated tomatoes?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

easy traveler, I'm not sure the strawberries and other soft fruits will work out quite as well, they might tend to disintegrate, unlike cherries or plums. You'll just have to let us know.

jahoulih, that Aviation drink sounds lovely, I guess after drinking it, you are flying!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:06 AM
ira

Elaine is right about strawberries turning soft and squishy.

Raspberries work well.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM

Maraschino liquor sounds yummy!

I have made damson plum gin. Orange vodka, just a large orange, poked with many holes, and a skewer (clean wooden one) to keep in submerged in the highest proof vodka you can find. Three bing cherries, and a vanilla bean. I let it steep for a whole year. It was soooo good. (the cherries give some color)

I have also done cherries that way.

I have steeped cherries in kirsh? it is cherry flavored liquor, and then made my own ganache for truffles with the cherry in the middle, and my own chocolate covered cherries.

Okay, now I need some chocolate! and a shot of something!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM

"OK, now I need some chocolate1 and a shot of something!"

Me, too!

Thanks for the warning about squishy strawberries. Unfortunately, they are already steeping. How long should they steep before you want a report?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -