We've been ripped off in Taormina, Italy

Jan 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Kim

We've been ripped off in Taormina, Italy

While in Taormina in October 2002, my husband and I ordered custom linen tablecloths and napkins. After they arrived one month later, to our disappointment, they were not the specified size we ordered and did not fit properly.
Not only were we way-OVERCHARGED for freight. (like 3x's too much), there was an addition mistake on the sales receipt. They over-charged us $170.00!!
Supposedly this was a reputable business and we trusted them (at the time). We have made several calls and written letters, but they have not taken any action. The 1st time we did talk to them, they said they would refund the $170.00 mistake. But, as of yet we have not rec'd anything. We have reported this to our credit card company, but as of yet, we are still waiting.
My question:
Is there a local Italian authority we could report this to, to help us resolve this?
Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 5th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Giov

yes

Jan 5th, 2003, 09:39 AM
PPP

Why not start giving us the name of this place,this way we will avoid going

Jan 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Freddie Mercury

Congradulations!

Jan 13th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Kim

ttt

Jan 13th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Gareth Evans

Yes there is a financial police who deal specifically with this kind of thing. Not sure of their details unfortunately, so I’m not all that much help to you, but I have seen mention of them on this site. Usually if you mention that you know that they exist you can get surprising results. Try searching under the Italian treads.

Jan 13th, 2003, 08:23 AM
bettyk

Kim, your best bet is through your credit card company. Did you send them a written statement protesting the charges including the $170 mistake on the sales receipt? Normally, the merchant has so much time to substantiate the charges and if they cannot then they are removed from your account. You may want to contact your credit card company again and see if they can give you a status.

Jan 13th, 2003, 08:28 AM
guardia

"Guardia di finanza" might be the police you should report.
http://www.gdf.it/

Jan 13th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Alice Twain

In this case police (or financial police, Guardia di Finanza) will not take any measure because this seems more like a "Codice Civile" break. Maybe you should contact Guardia di Finanza anyhow, though, because they might be able to give you some advice on how to deal with the problem from abroad. Personally, as I live in Italy, I would rather check out if Taormina has a Giudice Conciliatore or Giudice di Pace, who can deal with such minor illegality and help the two parts to reconcile in a way that is satisfactory for both. You can contact the Giudice di Pace's office at:

GIUDICE DI PACE di TAORMINA
VIA FRANCAVILLA
98030 TRAPPITELLO (ME)
+39 0942 658220-1-2-3-4-5
fax: +39 0942 50179

Jan 14th, 2003, 09:01 AM
marci

While reporting to the italian authorities may make you feel better - financially the route to go is a dispute to your credit card company. They will put a provisionary credit on your bill (so you don't have to pay the amount, and you are not charged interest)and charge the item back to the merchant. The merchant can dispute the chargeback, but generally they do not. You should know that you are made whole on the transaction within 90 days

Search this Thread