Reload this Page >

Salzburg & Vienna day trip MUSTS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM
chloe

Hi All, <BR>We are planning next December for these 2 areas. Any suggested day trips by TRAIN would be greatly appreciated. I heard Melk and Halstatt are both great. Since it is for December, please provide advice, length of train ride (if you know it), and highlights of each. <BR><BR>If given the choice, would you pass up Munich to stay in these 2 places longer and do day trips in Austria? Never been to Germ. or Austria. <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM
lynn

There are several nice bus tours out of Salzburg which might fit your interests, including Hallstatt, Berchtesgaden and Kehlstein (Hitler's &quot;Eagle's Nest&quot. Even the Sound of Music tour, which might sound &quot;too touristy&quot; to some, really is a pleasant and very scenic excursion. I don't know of any train trips, but I imagine the tourist offices of the cities you visit would have that info. <BR><BR>I wouldn't pass up Munich at all. It's a fun place to visit and worth at least a few days' stay.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Flying Dutchmad

Just returned from a week in Munich and Vienna. My advice - skip Salzburg and focus on Munich or Vienna. I found Salzburg to be too touristy.<BR><BR>The weather was terrible, but everything else was wonderful. If you get a chance, see an opera in Veinna - very inexpensive if you wait in line for standing room only tickets on the day of the performance. <BR><BR>A good day excursion from Munich would be either Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Chiemsee or both.<BR><BR>The people in Munich were very friendly and the food (not to mention beverage) was better than I had expected.<BR><BR>I took a Night train from Vienna to Brussels and thought that was a good way to travel - but I would skip Brussels on my next trip for a variety of reasons.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Nick

Rather than day trips I would suggest driving between two (though generally I prefer trains) - can do Melk and Hallstatt en route between two places, or if you fly into Vienna do a round trip - along the danube through Melk, Krems and Durnstein (Wachau region) and come back via Salzkammergut - area of lakes of which Hallstatt is a part. Depends a little on your preference for driving in what may be snowy conditions.<BR><BR>If you stick to trains, do Hallstatt from Salzburg and then Wachau from Vienna. Hallstatt is definitely one of (if not) the prettiest towns in the region. From Vienna you can go to Krems in an hour -one end of Wachau- and take a boat trip down the Danube to visit Melk, or hire a car for the day so you can stop off more readily at wine places - problem then is avoiding getting drunk. Look up www.oebb.at for Austrian train details. The only thing is Wachau is perhaps better seen in spring or summer.<BR><BR>Munich is a good tourist city. Living now in Vienna for 18 mths and prior to that 18 mths in Munich, our pref is for Vienna, but day trips from Munich are definitely better with the castles and the lakes in greater abundance (but lakes are better in summer) and more conveniently reached. I do not support Flying D's view of Munich service.My time there compared to holiday visits in earlier years made me feel that there is an increasing tendency for crap service there - shops and restaurants. Sure not always, but often customers are simply seen as a problem. Vienna has been far better for service especially with English speakers(though you also get some shockers here, especially in tourist cafes). Both Vienna and Munich have large Christmas markets. Munich's is more famous,but I like Vienna's more as there are more smaller markets scattered through the centre as well as the main one outside the Rathaus and lots of stalls for drinking Gluhwein etc - in far more locations than Munich. Ultimately whether you do both Munich and Vienna depends on how much time - if 2 weeks do both. If less, focus on Vienna and some countryside. Also be aware that you will have less choice of accommodation in countryside in winter as quite a few places shut up, though Hallstatt and such like should still be enough choice.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:09 AM
kristin

An unusual daytrip from Vienna would be Bratislava, Slovakia. I lived there last year and came to appreciate its old town very much. It isn't Prague, Budapest, or Vienna. It is just itself -- very old and interesting for a daytrip. Also prices are so much lower than western Europe that you can eat and drink very well for very little. If you like opera, they have a very good opera for very low prices compared to Vienna. I would spend time in the main square, the cathedral (St. Martin's), and the castle, esp. for the view.<BR><BR>Bratislava is under an hour by fast train from Vienna's Sudbahnhof into the Petrzalka station. Bus from there into center.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:00 AM
LJ

We took two sidetrips from Salzburg some years ago. The first was to a salt mine (hence the name of the city and judging by the Salzburg cuisine, its still the only seasoning they recognize): very interesting it was, too. <BR><BR>The second was to the Eagle's Nest with a great number of Austrian tourists also on the bus: they were a little too thrilled to be that close to Hitler's retreat for our tastes. I was with a Jewish business colleague and the whole thing was a weird experience...but I wouldn't have missed it from an experential point of view.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Nick

Re: Kristin's suggestion for Bratislava - trains are very limited in number (2 I think going) and therefore convenience (unfortunately). More buses make that more convenient but some are pretty awful. About 1 hr 40min as you have to stop at border - took us 20 mins for customs coming back on a full and horrible bus (going there was quicker). Personally I do not put Bratislava very high up the to do list -only if someone is in Vienna for a minimum of 5 days. Do not go Saturday - virtually everything shut up at 12pm except Tesco.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:56 AM
debby

December will be really cold..You need to stop for a cup of hot drink every hour..Don't miss Christkindl Markt and even Salzburg is 'touristy' you should visit it at least for one day.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Nancy

Visited Eagle's Nest in Oct. and the view was remarkable! However; we were told the road up to Eagle's Nest closes at the end of October for the winter.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:38 AM
xxx

Stay in Munich. Go to Salzburg for a daytrip--it's very easy to do on your own and if you have a German rail pass, it will cover it.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Rob

I agree about ditching Salzburg. It's beautiful, but far too touristy. I'd go for Munich and Vienna, too.<BR><BR>St. Wolfgang, or any of the other Salzkammergut lake towns, are wonderful. <BR><BR>Vienna is the best city I've ever been to. Easy, cool, perfectly sized, and there are TONS of indoor activities.<BR><BR>Salzburg is like a Disney version of Europe.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:42 AM
daytrip

There are now 15 trains a day from Vienna to Bratislava (47 to 95 minutes). There used to be a cheap round trip ticket.<BR><BR>The Hungarian border town of Sopron is the best day trip from Vienna (76 minutes).<BR><BR>www.oebb.at<BR><BR> <BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:59 AM
rar

Um I was just in Salzburg, and didn't see a single tourist, with the exception of up on top of Hohensalzburg (sp?). I'd go there, and take a daytrip to Hitler's Nest, and to Hallstadt (beautiful lakeside town).

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:05 AM
chloe

Since you liked Salzburg so much, where did you stay? <BR>Thanks for the tips. We will hit Halstatt. Sounds great. How did you get there?

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:07 AM
bettyk

I think it would be a mistake to totally &quot;skip&quot; Salzburg. Yes, it's touristy like many other popular (and populated) European cities but it is worth some of your time, even if just a half day, to ride the funicular up to the Hohensalzburg to capture on film the beautiful view overlooking the Salzbach River and the lovely church spires below. Getriedegasse and the surrounding area can be packed with tourists in the peak travel months, but so what? Just walk around a bit, look in some of the shops and have something warm or cool to drink, depending on the season. In warmer weather, Mirabelle Gardens is a must. Some of our most beautiful pictures are of Salzburg. It would be a shame to miss it entirely.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:09 AM
rar

I did Salzburg as a one day excursion, I visited from my friend's place in Munich. Sorry I can't recommend anything there.<BR><BR>Hallstadt is an easy 2 hour train ride from Salzburg.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Diane

I disagree on skipping Salzburg. It's wonderful- particularly the &quot;Sound of Music&quot; tour &amp; Mozart sites. We always stay in Lofer, Austria when in that area. It's in the mountains, a short drive from Salzburg &amp; close to favorite locations in Germany too. Not a spot frequented by tourists, friendly, clean &amp; lovely. Lofer was recommended to us years ago by a travel agent who had been staying there since childhood. We have stayed at the &quot;Post&quot; &amp; &quot;St.Hubertus&quot; hotels &amp; would recommend both. &quot;Eagle's Nest&quot; was beautiful but terrifying drive to &amp; from the top of the mountain. If heights scare you then skip it. Melk is well worth the trip.