Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We're headed from Sorrento to Umbria. Would I miss a lot of interesting stuff if I go by train to Perugia & start Umbria then

Search

We're headed from Sorrento to Umbria. Would I miss a lot of interesting stuff if I go by train to Perugia & start Umbria then

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all
I posted a message earlier and some of you recommended picking up the car in Sorrento instead of Rome for our Umbria trip. My husband doesn't want to drive that much or far so we were thinking of taking the train from Naples to Perugia & picking up car there. Do Umbria & return car in Perugia & head back to Rome for our trip home.
Are we missing interesting country between Sorrento & Rome or between Rome and Perugia. We don't feel comfortable driving near Rome.
By the way, AutoEurope is the greatest. The have changed our reservations 5-6 times already & they are very helpful. I love them.
We leave tomorrow!! for Rome
Thanks again
Maria
Redondo Beach, CA
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM

It's not driving <i>near</i> Rome that's difficult, only driving <i>in</i> Rome. So don't let that dissuade you. However, Naples to Perugia is a pretty long drive, so I wouldn't blame you for deciding to take the train instead. IMHO, you won't miss that much from Sorento to Rome, but there is a lot of interesting country between Rome and Perugia. However, if you're going to have a car to explore for a few days in Umbria, I wouldn't worry about it if you'd prefer not to drive. You might see more with the car, but no doubt with somewhat greater fatigue. Do what feels most comfortable for you.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Hello Maria, I would let your husband decide what is comfortable for him since it sounds like he will be doing to driving.

My DH loved to drive in Italy including in all of the cities, Milan, Rome, Naples, Florence etc. But that is not usually the case with visitors going to Italy.

Maria no matter what decisions you two make you will not &quot;see everything&quot; in Italy..the Italians never see all of the country.

I would urge you two to do what works for you..being relaxed and not stressed is the best way to enjoy beautiful Italy. I agree with RoadCrazy's comments. Best wishes.
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much RoadCrazy and LoveItaly. It looks like we have the options of picking up in Sorrento or Perugia or Foligno. There was an earlier post that Foligno was much easier to pick-up/drop off car than Perugia. We will decide &amp; call AutoEurope.
I'm out-of-here...flying to Rome tomorrow a.m.
Thanks to all for all the help.
Maria
Redondo Beach, CA