We need to decide - sailing in Santorini or Rethynmo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites, me again! For those of you that don't know my big-fat-group-trip-to-Greece yet, a big group of us (25 - 15 grown ups and 10 kids) are going on a trip to Greece in June. We will visit primarily Santorini (3 nights) and Crete (5 nights).

The group is looking into sailing options and we are wondering whether we should do sailing in Santorini or Crete. Any thoughts? My personal inclination is to do sailing in Crete becasue:
1. We will have more time there
2. We will have rented cars in Crete so more flexibility after the sailing. If a bunch of us want to head back to villa, we can. If others are enthusiastic enough to do something after the sailing, then they can go for it
3. We are visiting Crete second so hopefully will be out of our jetlag by then and might be able to enjoy the sailing more? (most folks are flying from US to Greece with kids, so long transatlantic journeys and time zone adjustments)

But I don't know enough (anything, really!) about the coastlines or sceneries, so am wondering if my Fodorites can help me out with any/all thoughts you have.

Santorini Sailing:
Babarossa Sailing
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...th_Aegean.html
Sailing from 10: 00-15: 00 2 sailing boats (visit Volcano, Hot springs, Seal cave, Island Thirassia)incld transfers, drinks, fruit, towels, lunch and swimming in all places we visit

OR

Crete Sailing:
Dolphin Tours (Dolphin Cruises. Daily cruises in Crete) or some other company (if you have suggestions, please let me know!). We would need to leave from Rethymnon port.
Don't have too many details here as we have not done too much research yet into companies but if we go with Dolphin, one of these itineraries from their website:
  • Caves: "Enjoy a short trip on our speed boat “Dolphin Express IV” and have the opportunity to get into the pirate caves and take magnificent pictures of them as well as see the “camarola arch”. On the way back you can admire the Fortezza castle of Rethymno."
  • 3 hour cruise : "We are sailing along the east coast until we reach the sea-beaten pirate caves and the “camarola” arch. After that you will have enough time to swim off the boat into the crystal clear waters. Upon returning to rethymnon we will sail in front of the venetian fortress, Fortezza."
  • Georgioupolis: "We depart from the Venetian Harbour of Rethymno setting course for the west part of the island. During our sail there you’ ll enjoy a magnificent view of the Venetian Fortress “Fortezza” and Chania coastline as well as visit the rocky pirate caves at Kefalas bay. On arrival there will be 1 hour free time to either swim in one of the bays, have lunch or stroll around the picturesque village of Georgioupolis. "
Thanks
Manisha
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks - any thoughts? If this is a completely ridiculous question, I apologize in advance!